Question Selecting the correct db

Really need some help at the moment
    trying to decide upon the best db and design for this project i'm working on
    the project is web based
    it will have one user table
    and then two others one for details which may contain thousands of entries
    and the third table will contain events which will have thousands of field entries yet again
    need my db to allow over one hundred users access at the same time
    also want to know if it is possible to have little db's for every individual user
    could some one please help, recommend a book or web site that can tell me the capabilities of the databases on the market at the moment
    thank you in advance
    saraj
    Last edited by saraj; 01-28-04 at 06:14.

Re: Selecting the correct db

Originally posted by saraj
    also want to know if it is possible to have little db's for every individual user
    could some one please help, recommend a book or web site that can tell me the capabilities of the databases on the market at the moment
    thank you in advance
    saraj
    What do you mean by little db's for every individual user? You will be using some DBMS to manage your database. In the real world this means a SQL DBMS of which there are many products.

Your table design will be independent of the end product you choose so it comes down to a performace Vs price issue. This is based on the DBMS system and also the hardware you wish to run it on.

Certain DBMS are free software: PostgreSQL and MySQL being the two most popular. Others, such as Sybase, have free evaluation products you can download.

I suggest you design your database schema and then implement it in one of the above. Then profile the different DBMSes and find out what works best for your domain.

I suspect you are getting worried about performace too early on in the development process. I'd prototype first to get an idea of what speeds you will be getting.