Question Unanswered: Intermittent Updates to linked tables?

Is there a way to set an interval so that I can run a query or run code every x often? I dont' want the machine to be tied up doing any sort of for loop or anything, just so it can be minimized and update every so often. Also maybe with a start and stop button.

Re: Intermittent Updates to linked tables?

Originally posted by PainGypsy
    Is there a way to set an interval so that I can run a query or run code every x often? I dont' want the machine to be tied up doing any sort of for loop or anything, just so it can be minimized and update every so often. Also maybe with a start and stop button.
    Hi PainGypsy,

The easiest way to accomplish that is to use Windows' Task Scheduler. That's what it's for anyway. You could theoretically set it to open a specific workbook/db or what have you that would then launch code on open. This would enable you to launch something at a specific time in the day/night.

Otherwise, you're dealing with Form Timer events. Guess what happens when that form isn't open? Exactly - nothing. So if you're willing to break down the intervals in which you want code to run in milliseconds (with a 65,000K approximate millisecond limit, I believe), as well as leave a database and specific form open indefinitely, by all means knock yourself out.

Generally, I avoid timer events unless I am forced, kicking, biting and screaming, to use them. Speaking from experience, the occassions where you absolutely need to use form timer events to accomplish something are extremely rare indeed. Though that all depends on the type of work you do.

Good luck to you!