Unanswered: Export Paradox DB w/ Memo field to fixed length file

I need to export a database that contains a memo field to a fixed length file. When exporting I do not get the memo field data. I am not familiar with Paradox 7 and everything I have tried has failed. Any assisstance would be appreciated.

You are only getting the first 256 [or whatever display setting in the table structure] of the memo field. To get more you may have to run a query which creates two or more Alphanumeric fields each containing the 240 character's from the memo field. The calculation would be Left(memofield,240) , substr(memofield,241, 480), substr(memofield,481, 720) and so on. prior to exporting.

There may be another way to do it but I haven't found it yet. Especially, since there is no limit to the size of a memo field.

Where do you run the query in Paradox? I only know SQL Server.

I am designing a new application for a company and they currently use Paradox. I am trying to export all the data to Excel, but the memo field won't work.

Please let me know how to do this. Thanks!

Brenda

I once had to bring memo fields into a fixed field column. I used the following objectpal script with the scan command using arrays. It should work without a hitch (as long as your longest memo isn't bigger than 256)

Create new table (use borrow structure from old table) then modify the new table's memo field to be fixed length field.

Use the following script (you will probably need to change the number of array elements or use dynarray). There are definately more elegent ways to do this. But I only had a 2 column table and this worked for me.

method run(var eventInfo Event)
    var
    tab1,tab2 tcursor
    com Array[2] Anytype
    endvar

tab1.open("table_with_memo.db")
    tab2.open("table_with_fixed_field.db")
    tab2.edit()

scan tab1:
    com[1]=tab1.field1 ; change to suit your field names
    com[2]=tab1.field2 ; " "
    com[3]= ... and on

tab2.insertrecord()
    tab2.copyfromarray(com)
    endscan
    tab2.endedit()
    msginfo("Status","Done")
    endMethod

Thanks

We actually figured this one out. Her memo fields were greater than 256 character so your method would not work. Let me know if you need our solution as I can forward you to the thread.

Export memo fields

If you still have the code for this, I would welcome it. I'm struggling with the a similar problem.

Our address info is maintained in two Paradox tables (People and Companys). I'd like to export / import the data to Corel Address Book, and keep the data updated regularly, for access by WordPerfect templates. The first problem I ran into was exporting memo fields from Paradox.

Also, our paradox tables contain multi-line memo fields for addresses. Corel's Address Book also appears to have multi-line fields in it's addresses. If I can get past the first problem, my next problem will be getting the carriage returns into the Address Book fields.

I'm at the entry level on the learning curve. There must be some way to integrate Paradox with the Corel Address book? (currently have Pdox11, WPX3)