Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Assigning fields in my database to a cookie

I want to create the cookie when the user logs in using their email address & password. Since my application involves alot of displaying a user's data to them automatically, I want to set all these values into the cookie at the time I create it.
    If the SQL statement I am using only checks the email address & password, how do I set the other values......do I need to open a 2nd sql statement?

Use a stored procedure. Have the first part of the stored procedure check the username and password, have the second part return the data.

If you can't use a stored proc. you will need two statements (okie, you could probably do it with one but it's probably better to use two).

Re: Assigning fields in my database to a cookie

You would need to modify your existing SQL Statement to get the other values also for the user apart from checking email ID and password. If you do not want to do that then create another Stored procedure or write a SQL statement which fires only if the previous email check is valid.

Originally posted by lklegend
    I want to create the cookie when the user logs in using their email address & password. Since my application involves alot of displaying a user's data to them automatically, I want to set all these values into the cookie at the time I create it.
    If the SQL statement I am using only checks the email address & password, how do I set the other values......do I need to open a 2nd sql statement?

Re: Assigning fields in my database to a cookie

I tried to create a 2nd SQL statement to access the information from the other table that I want to store in the cookie. However, I am getting the following error:

Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8)
    Object required: ''

Code:
    <%

Dim rsUsers, strSQL1
    Dim strEmail, strPassword, strLoginType
    	strEmail = Request.Form("txtEmail")
    	strPassword = Request.Form("txtPassword")

Set rsUsers = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    	rsUsers.CursorType = 2
    	rsUsers.LockType = 3

strSQL1 = "Select * FROM MEMBER Where EMAIL_ADDRESS = '" & strEmail & "' AND PASSWORD = '" & strPassword & "';"
    	rsUsers.Open strSQL1, adoCon 

If rsUsers.EOF Then 
    	Response.Redirect "2ndUserLogin.asp"
    Else                                     		'One or more users found - check password
    	While Not rsUsers.EOF
    	   	If UCase(rsUsers("PASSWORD")) = UCase(strPassword) Then     ' password matched
    			      																' successful login

Response.Cookies("user")("firstName") = rsUsers("FIRST_NAME")

Dim strSQL2, rsAccount
    			Set rsUsers = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    			rsUsers.CursorType = 2
    			rsUsers.LockType = 3

strSQL2 = "Select * From ACCOUNT"
    			rsAccount.Open strSQL2

Response.Cookies("user")("accNo") = rsAccount("ACCOUNT_NUMBER")

Response.Redirect "MemberMenu.asp" 
    		Else 
            	rsUsers.MoveNext
          End If
        Wend
    End If

Set adoCon = Nothing
      	 adoCon.Close

%>

By the looks of your code I presume you are getting error after the following line..

-- rsAccount.Open strSQL2

Check if your rsAccount recordset returns any value. If it does, then try to retrieve the value fromthe recordset.

Do the following :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    rsAccount.Open strSQL2
    if not rsAccount.EOF then
    Response.Cookies("user")("accNo") = rsAccount("ACCOUNT_NUMBER")

else
    ' do whatever you want here.
    end if

----------------------------------------------------------------

In your application, do you want to use the user's data after she/he is logged in? If yes, why don't you set the session variables?

Ok, I have the 2nd SQL statement working now but one other problem - when I set a value into the cookie that does not have a value in the database, it causes the following error:
    Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A000D)
    Type mismatch: '[object]'

How do I get around this since some of my fields are optional??

What does "that does not have a value in the database" mean? Null or blank value?

Sorry - I mean that it is blank. For example, address has 2 fields but the user is not required to enter into both.

Originally posted by gyuan
    What does "that does not have a value in the database" mean? Null or blank value?

In this case, you need to check to see if the values is a Null or blank. If it is, you need to assign a constant value or do not assign the value to the cookie.

Sorry, I'm a beginner to ASP. Any hints on how to do this?
    Thanks

Also, I am having a problem assigning a cookie value into a textarea.
    Code:
    <textarea name="txtProfile" cols=30 rows=5 value ="<%Response.Write Request.Cookies("user")("Info")%>"></textarea>
    Do I need to treat a textarea differently?

Can you tell me why you do not want to use session variables on your application? When the user is logged on the site, her/his data can be retrieved from the table and then be assigned to the session variables. You can use the session variables to show the user's info on any page until she/he is logged out.

It's not that I don't want to use them,its just that I'm not exactly sure how to! Do you just use one or the other or both together.

Originally posted by gyuan
    Can you tell me why you do not want to use session variables on your application? When the user is logged on the site, her/his data can be retrieved from the table and then be assigned to the session variables. You can use the session variables to show the user's info on any page until she/he is logged out.

This is one of the references from Microsoft web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p/vbob12d0.htm