Unanswered: License high water mark

Hi,
    I have checked my database alert file and I saw this line:
    License high water mark = 12
    What does it mean ? I received this message when I tried to shutdown database and wait for a very long time. After that, I must use SHUTDOWN ABORT command to shutdown database.
    Please help me, thanks.

The License high water mark is the highest number of concurrent session since the instance started.

Any problems doing a shutdown normal or immediate would have nothing to do with this message.

Oracle's response to a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE command is not necessarily instantaneous, as the command might imply. Uncommited transactions must first be rolled back, and this might take some time. Give SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE more time before you try ABORT.

Thank you very much
    You two are right. Maybe there was because some transactions weren't completed when I used SHUTDOWN command.
    According to you, does the License high water mark indicate any problem ? I want to ensure my DB is fine.

The license high water mark message is for information - it is to help with License Compliance.

It is not an error.

Originally posted by SkyWriter
    The license high water mark message is for information - it is to help with License Compliance.

It is not an error.
    That is correct. In the alert log, errors will begin with ORA-. If you want to search your alert log for errors, search for this string of characters.

As for the licensing messages, you may have licensing parameters in your init.ora file for the database. I believe these parameters are license_max_warnings and license_max_sessions. They are optional parameters and they can be deleted or commented-out.

Thanks
    I will check these parameters in init file

Talking Licensing

Hello enthusiasists, Please find this note regarding Licensing:

- LICENSE_MAX_SESSIONS specifies the maximum number of concurrent user sessions allowed. When this limit is reached, only users with the RESTRICTED SESSION
    privilege can connect to the database. Users who are not able to connect receive a warning message indicating that the system has reached maximum capacity.
    A zero value indicates that concurrent usage (session) licensing is not enforced.

If you set this parameter to a nonzero number, you might also want to set LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING
    LICENSE_MAX_SESSIONS

- LICENSE_MAX_USERS specifies the maximum number of users you can create in the database. When you reach this limit, you cannot create more users. You can
    however increase the limit.

Do not enable both concurrent usage (session) licensing and user licensing. Set either LICENSE_MAX_SESSIONS or LICENSE_MAX_USERS to zero.
    LICENSE_MAX_USERS

- LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING specifies a warning limit on the number of concurrent user sessions. When this limit is reached, additional users can connect, but
    Oracle writes a message in the alert file for each new connection. Users with RESTRICTED SESSION privilege who connect after the limit is reached receive a
    warning message stating that the system is nearing its maximum capacity.

If this parameter is set to zero, no warning is given as you approach the concurrent usage (session) limit. If you set this parameter to a nonzero number, you should also set LICENSE_MAX_SESSIONS
    LICENSE_SESSIONS_WARNING

Wink

I'm not sure that the OP has waited around seven years for this answer, but I have. Thanks, sachidbforums!

Smile

Hi Daveman1 - wat does OP means??

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Original Poster (OP)
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.