Thread: problem

Unanswered: Access privileges problem in filemaker

I have a problem and any help would be much appreciated.

Scenario (which the Filemaker people don't know the answer to, they say can't be done but it must be)

I have a Filemaker database with two passwords. The first "master" gives me full access, the second "user" allows some people to browse but not delete/edit etc.

I would like people using the "user" password to edit one field called "fileokpk".

I have done the following:
    went to file - clicked access priviliges - selected "user" password - ticked edit records - selected limited

and then I am asked to give a boolean formula, so I type in
    fileokpk = 1, hoping to grant those using the "user" password access to this and only this field.

It doesn't work. The field is still deemed "not modifiable".

If anyone knows how to fix this that would be great. I am an Economics grad so may have to type slowly.

Thank you!

J
    Last edited by ontheverge; 01-28-04 at 02:51.

Re: Access privileges problem in filemaker

You can accomplish this from within "File> Access Privileges> you can allow or deny access to field(s) or layouts from the Groups settings

Originally posted by ontheverge
    I have a problem and any help would be much appreciated.

Scenario (which the Filemaker people don't know the answer to, they say can't be done but it must be)

I have a Filemaker database with two passwords. The first "master" gives me full access, the second "user" allows some people to browse but not delete/edit etc.

I would like people using the "user" password to edit one field called "fileokpk".

I have done the following:
    went to file - clicked access priviliges - selected "user" password - ticked edit records - selected limited

and then I am asked to give a boolean formula, so I type in
    fileokpk = 1, hoping to grant those using the "user" password access to this and only this field.

It doesn't work. The field is still deemed "not modifiable".

If anyone knows how to fix this that would be great. I am an Economics grad so may have to type slowly.

Thank you!

J
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

still problem

Thank you for your reply.

I am still having difficulty. Changing group access is fine, but it still does not help the editing situation. The "user" group has access to everything but I don't want them to be able to change anything but the one field. How can I fix this using passwords?

Was the fileokpk = 1 the right boolean code?

Re: still problem

The user groups will work. With it you can allow full field access or read only privilages.
    -
    But to answer your question this can also be handled using a password scheme for users, but it is rather complicated and can have some 'holes'.
    What I've done in some of my FM databases is to create a logon layout, the user when logging on, will automaticly set a global field (from a script) a value, the value would act as a field validator. For example, the field validation for field 1 is =< 10 (administrators and authorized full access users would have a value of 100). Any user who's level is 10 or less would not be able to modify the field (strict demial, no modification allowed).
    -
    If I were you I'd reconsider the password/groups scheme. The biggest problem I see with people trying firgure this scheme out, is the non-understanding of how it works. Set the groups first, then set the passwords for the groups, then set the access privilages.

Good Luck

Originally posted by ontheverge
    Thank you for your reply.

I am still having difficulty. Changing group access is fine, but it still does not help the editing situation. The "user" group has access to everything but I don't want them to be able to change anything but the one field. How can I fix this using passwords?

Was the fileokpk = 1 the right boolean code?
    Last edited by RickKnight; 01-28-04 at 21:13.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Re: still problem

Rick,

Aaaaaah - set groups first then password then access privileges. Will try this. Will not try to do that password scheme thing - you lost me at logon layout.

Thank you, will delete my passowrds and groups and start from scratch!!

Originally posted by RickKnight
    The user groups will work. With it you can allow full field access or read only privilages.
    -
    But to answer your question this can also be handled using a password scheme for users, but it is rather complicated and can have some 'holes'.
    What I've done in some of my FM databases is to create a logon layout, the user when logging on, will automaticly set a global field (from a script) a value, the value would act as a field validator. For example, the field validation for field 1 is =< 10 (administrators and authorized full access users would have a value of 100). Any user who's level is 10 or less would not be able to modify the field (strict demial, no modification allowed).
    -
    If I were you I'd reconsider the password/groups scheme. The biggest problem I see with people trying firgure this scheme out, is the non-understanding of how it works. Set the groups first, then set the passwords for the groups, then set the access privilages.

Good Luck