Unanswered: Errors connecting to MySQL 4.0.15

//1. I'm trying to connect to MySQL 4.0.15 using Visual C++ 6.0. This is the sample code that I'm using. I'm just simply trying to connect and query the database:

#include<iostream.h>
    #include<winsock.h>
    #include<mysql.h>
    #include<windows.h>
    #include<stdio.h>

#define host "C:\mysql\bin\mysql.exe"
    #define user "Enrique0822"
    #define password "xxxxx"
    #define database "Numberlyzer"

MYSQL *conn;//pointer to active database

int main()
    {

conn = mysql_init(NULL);

mysql_real_connect(conn,host,user,password,databas e,0,NULL,0);//connects you to the database.

MYSQL_RES *result;//varible to return a result
    MYSQL_ROW row;//variable to return row
    unsigned int i;//variable to increment in the loop in case more than one row is returned
    unsigned int n;

mysql_query(conn,"SELECT * FROM pic3");//query the database

result = mysql_store_result(conn);//store result in the result variable

n = mysql_num_rows(result);//variable that will allow you to loop through the number of rows returned

while ((row = mysql_fetch_row(result)) != NULL)
    {

for (i=0; i<mysql_num_fields(result); i++)
    {

printf("%s\n",row[i] != NULL ? row[i] : "NULL");
    }
    }
    mysql_close(conn);

return 0;

}

//2. I also double checked to make sure that I included the mysql++.lib file under project settings link tab. Maybe someone has a better set of eyes than I do but the code looks good to me. When I try to compile I get the following 3 errors:

--------------------Configuration: database - Win32 Debug--------------------
    Compiling...
    database.cpp
    c:\mysql\database\database.cpp(25) : warning C4129: 'm' : unrecognized character escape sequence
    c:\mysql\database\database.cpp(25) : warning C4129: 'm' : unrecognized character escape sequence
    c:\mysql\database\database.cpp(36) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'unsigned __int64' to 'unsigned int', possible loss of data

database.obj - 0 error(s), 3 warning(s)

//3. The program allows me to link inspite of these warnings. But when I attempt to run the program, it simply crashes. When this happens I try to debug the error and a popup window in the debugger generates the following message:

Unhandled exception in database.exe (LIBMYSQL.DLL) : 0x0000005: Access Violation

//4. I'm not sure if this part is relevant but after I click ok on the popup windows message, I see the following messages displayed under the debug window tab:

Loaded symbols for 'C:\mysql\Database\Debug\database.exe'
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\libmySQL.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2help.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnsapi.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winrnr.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wldap32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet4_88.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msasn1.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\lpk.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\usp10.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.10.0_x-ww_f7fb5805\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasadhlp.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wshtcpip.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    The thread 0x9A0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

//5. In case anyone is wondering I'm using Windows XP and I downloaded the MySql++ API version 1.7.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty good with SQL and C++ programming but I just can't seem to get them to work together:-(

Do you have to escape back slashes?

#define host "C:\\mysql\\bin\\mysql.exe"

Originally posted by stacey_richards
    Do you have to escape back slashes?

#define host "C:\\mysql\\bin\\mysql.exe"

No, but I gave it a try anyway....didn't work though. Thanks for the help.

-TheOne0822-

1. Actually, you aren't using the C++ api, you are using the C api.
    That's probably why you are having linking warnings.
    I think you should probably be linking to libmySQL.dll
    (or libmysqlclient.a if you compiled the library yourself).

//*****************************
    You're host is wrong.
    'host' may be an IP address, NULL, or "localhost", but not the name of an executable program.
    //*****************************

2. Warnings will not cause a link to fail.

3. You aren't checking the return values of mysql_init or mysql_real_connect for errors.
    You are getting an error and instead of aborting you are querying the database with a
    bad conn pointer. (I think it has been set to 5, which is definately a bad pointer.)

conn = mysql_init(NULL); /* allocate, initialize connection handler */
    if (conn == NULL) {
    ... error ...
    return (NULL);
    }

void *a = mysql_real_connect (conn, host_name, user_name, password,
    db_name, port_num, socket_name, flags);
    if ( a == NULL ) {
    ... error ...
    return (NULL);
    }

4. No symbolic information means those dlls were not compiled with the debug option,
    so you can't see any debugging information from those dlls.

5. You should probably download the C API instead.

This is an example of using the C++ API:
    http://www.mysql.com/documentation/m..._Tutorial.html

Don't worry, you can still use the C API from a C++ program. I do all the time,
    except instead of using Visual C++ I use gcc. I wouldn't recommend using gcc,
    however, because if you do you also have to recompile the libmysqlclient library
    with gcc. MySQL has already compiled it using Visual C++ so it makes sense to use
    Visual C++ whenever you can.

Thanks to everyone that responded, I really appreciate it. I revamped the code a little. I also realized that I hadn't correctly set my passwords. Duh!! I also had to make sure that I linked the mysql++.lib, mysqlclient.lib, and libmySQL.lib to the project.

#include<winsock.h>
    #include<stdio.h>
    #include<mysql.h>

int main()
    {
    MYSQL_RES *result;//varible to return a result
    MYSQL_ROW row;//variable to return row

/*a is the connection to the database*/
    MYSQL *a, mysql;
    int query_error;

/* initialize and open the connection */
    mysql_init(&mysql);
    a = mysql_real_connect(&mysql,"1XX.X.X.X","root","XXXX XX","Numberlyzer", 0, 0, 0);

/* if the connection failed, then display the error and exit. */
    if (a == NULL)
    {
    printf(mysql_error(&mysql));
    return 1;
    }

/*query the database*/
    query_error = mysql_query(a,"SELECT date,numbers FROM pic3");

/* if the query error is not 0 (no error), display the error and exit */
    if (query_error != 0)
    {
    printf(mysql_error(a));
    return 1;
    }

/* Return a query result */
    result = mysql_store_result(a);

/* Loop through and display each row in the query result */
    while (( row = mysql_fetch_row(result)) != NULL )
    {
    printf("Date: %s Numbers: %s\n",(row[0] ? row [0] : "NULL"),(row[1] ? row[1] : "NULL"));
    }

/* free the resources associated with the query result */
    mysql_free_result(result);

/* close the connection */
    mysql_close(a);

return 0;

}