Unanswered: Storing Japanese / Chinese Data

Dear All,

I have created my database with utf8 codeset. I have a column name in a table with size 20 char. I can insert data in english language upto 20 characters. Now if i want to insert japanese or chinese data i can insert only characters as they are multibyte. But as per Informix GLS documentation it supports multibyte characters. Do i need to set any other env variable so i can acommodate more or these data in m y table or i have no other alternative than to increase the size of the my column. Please advice.

Best Regards,

Lloyd

The easiets way is to set the client locale to japanese and change your keyboard to japanese.
    Remember dbaccess cannot show multibyte characters properly since this is an ascii based tool.
    rws

Originally posted by Roelwe
    The easiets way is to set the client locale to japanese and change your keyboard to japanese.
    Remember dbaccess cannot show multibyte characters properly since this is an ascii based tool.
    Hi Roelwe,

Thanks for your reply, but i need to support 5 languages, if i change my client local to japanese then how would i be able to store data in other languages for eg. chinese, french, spanish & german. Also how can i change my keyboard to japanese.

Thanks & Regards,

lloyd

There is no problem in storing 5 languages.
    The database will only store in the Locale set by DB_LOCALE at database creation time.
    So, if you set your DB_LOCALE to en_us.utf-8, then create a database, you're good to go.
    You CLIENT_LOCALE however, is only necessary to display what you have stored. If you set your CLIENT_LOCALE to utf-8, you need an application that can handle utf-8.
    A terminal program like dbaccess can't.
    If you can set you CLIENT_LOCALE to a chinese locale, the database server will translate the UTF-8 codese to chinese and you 'chinese enabled' application will have no problems storing.

How to change your keyboard?
    That depends on what os you are.
    rws