Unanswered: Weird physical disk access

Hi,

I have an MS SQL 2000 server running on a Proliat with two CPUs and 2GB RAM (the process actually uses 1.6GB).

For some reason, the same queries (which return the same data) run sometimes very fast and sometimes very slow.

I used the performance counter to find out that when the queries run fast there is little disk i/o and when they run slowly there is a lot of i/o.

I thought it happens because the DB keeps swapping tables in and out of RAM. The problem is that these things happen in periods. I can have a few hours of slow access and then a few hours of fast access. This makes me believe that it doesn't actually put the table in the cache untill it is requested enough times. Very weird.

HELP?

Thanks.

Re: Weird physical disk access

Originally posted by Umbro
    Hi,

I have an MS SQL 2000 server running on a Proliat with two CPUs and 2GB RAM (the process actually uses 1.6GB).

For some reason, the same queries (which return the same data) run sometimes very fast and sometimes very slow.

I used the performance counter to find out that when the queries run fast there is little disk i/o and when they run slowly there is a lot of i/o.

I thought it happens because the DB keeps swapping tables in and out of RAM. The problem is that these things happen in periods. I can have a few hours of slow access and then a few hours of fast access. This makes me believe that it doesn't actually put the table in the cache untill it is requested enough times. Very weird.

HELP?

Thanks.

No bright ideas right away, but first thing I'd do is turn on SHOW EXECUTION PLAN and make sure these runs are always using the same plan. Just how complex is this query?

Re: Weird physical disk access

It also depends on what's running in the machine when the query was executing.

Well...

I've done some more work on the matter and found out the disk activity is the DB swapping data pages between memory and HD.

The reason it does this is because it ran out of available RAM (this phenomena does not occur when the SQLServer still has more available RAM to use).

The DB is run on a dedicated server, nothign else running at the time.