Red face Unanswered: Very misterious Access 2k Error: Disk or Network Error

I recently encountered a really awkward error.

I have a multiuser access2k (frontend/backend) database setup
    backend - tables, frontend - everything else. It uses a workgroup file and have the users assigned to various groups with various permissions.

The problem is when entering a record and wants to save, I get a "disk or network error" popup. I click "ok" and is not able to save the record and lose what was typed. Also when I clicks on tables or queries... it's comes up as blank... all the tables and queries disappears...

i have to exit and go back into the database to see the tables and queries again..

has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks, Tony

recompile your front end.

I tried to recompile it, but I got a "Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have Been Lost" message...

There's actually no VB code at all in the database...

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by M Owen
    recompile your front end.

I've had this before and it is usually because your pc has dropped the network. Try checking to see that you can access the backend by using Explorer.

Paul

Red face

Hmm... I can access the backend ok. I don't think it's a network issue.
    The forms just can't be compiled... even though there's no code in any forms... and there's no modules...

now i'm just completely out of ideas...

Originally posted by Funkster
    I've had this before and it is usually because your pc has dropped the network. Try checking to see that you can access the backend by using Explorer.

Paul

Run a compact and repair ...

Provided Answers: 5
    do you access the front end via a shortcut to the server. If so bring that front end local to to your pc. If the db cannot be compacted then there may be errors in vb code or major corruption. You say that there is no code. There may be no created code by tou , but if you have used wiards, macros, etc, then there is code.

if compact and repair fails on this fron end, go into the vb window and click on debug and then choose compile. If the compile succeeed without error and you still cannot comapact / repair the database, go to the support.microsoft.com site and download the latest version of the jetcomp utility, it is a very thorough fix.

First i just wanted to thank you all for the advice and suggestions.

Unfortunately, it is still unresolved...

1) The frontend and backend can be and have been both compacted and repaired.

2) I looked at the access objects one by one... and to the best of my knowledge there is no code. There are no macros, no modules, no wizard, no switchboards, no code within all the forms... I even viewed all the hidden objects and system objects just to be sure.

3) I did a search on support.microsoft.com and found that older version of Office 2000 less than SP1 might have this issue... so I went and checked the versions on the user's machine... They all have the latest and greatest... Office 2000 SP3!

4) I still cannot recompile the project... still get the "Error accessing file. Network connection my be lost."

I will continue to explorer other options, because losing the data on this database is NOT an option... this department has vital data going back years... Do you guys think that creating a new frontend database from scratch and reimporting all the objects to it and try recompiling again?

thanks again for your help

Try this

I would try opening the backend and re-import the front end back in. Then open the front end, view code and recompile then save the front end. Then resplit the db and replace the front end on the computers giving you the error message. Try that and let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

Talking

Thanks Jeremy et al., I talked to our network guys and they concur.
    We're addressing the issue on 2 fronts.

1) I rebuilided the database, importing the old forms and reports from a previous backup, and then recompiling it. This seems to be working now. I no longer got the "Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost." The project was compiled successfully!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

2) the network engineers are going to bump up the port from that user's machine from 10 Mbps to 100Mbps and also going to add a 3rd NIC card to the file server that host the MDB file to boost the bandwidth.

fingers crossed, bitting lips... and praying.

Thanks for all your help again,
    Tony

You're welcome

I am glad that worked for you. Access can be pretty weird at times. Any other questions, feel free to ask. This is a learning experience for me as well.

Have a good day.

to all interested in this problem :

I also had some trouble with this phenomena some time ago.
    We could solve it by first decompiling the database and then compile it again.
    You can decompile any access database as follows :
    open access with the run command of your PC with the following line:
    msaccess /decompile
    Any database you open then in Access will be automatically decompiled. Compile it again and quit access
    Open Access the normal way
    Open the database again and the problem should be fixed.

Maybe too late for your problem now but always interesting to remember...

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. Will have to give it a shot if ever I have an issue.

Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    to all interested in this problem :

I also had some trouble with this phenomena some time ago.
    We could solve it by first decompiling the database and then compile it again.
    You can decompile any access database as follows :
    open access with the run command of your PC with the following line:
    msaccess /decompile
    Any database you open then in Access will be automatically decompiled. Compile it again and quit access
    Open Access the normal way
    Open the database again and the problem should be fixed.

Maybe too late for your problem now but always interesting to remember...
    Thank you times infinity mystery man! This was starting to freak me out and this solution resolved my problems flawlessly!