Unanswered: There is insufficient system memory to run this query

Help,

Getting this error msg when running a bulk insert.
    Bulk insert was working fine before and all of a sudden getting this.

Any Ideas?

BOL:

Error 701
    Severity Level 19
    Message Text
    There is insufficient system memory to run this query.

Explanation
    The memory requirements for the set of tasks Microsoft® SQL Server™ is attempting to perform exceeds the amount of available memory. Either increase the amount of server memory or reduce the server workload.

Action
    To decrease the server workload, reduce the number of users currently using SQL Server. To prevent additional users from logging in to SQL Server, pause the server. For more information, see Pausing and Resuming SQL Server.

To increase server memory:

Check the settings for both min server memory (MB) and max server memory (MB).
    If max server memory (MB) is a value close to the value of min server memory (MB), then increase the max server memory (MB) value.

Check the size of the virtual memory paging file.
    If possible, increase the size of the file.

Shut down any other applications running, if applicable, on the server.

View the current memory usage information in Windows NT Performance Monitor.
    To view current memory usage information in preparation for tuning memory configuration, use the Total Server Memory (KB) Performance Monitor Counter of the SQLServer:General Statistics object.

Add additional memory to the server.

Talking

I was aware of the memory issue but that was not it

No-one was on the box - seemed like SQL server had not released memory resources that it was holding on to.

We stopped and started SQL Service on the server and that sorted the problem.

Snail : thanks for your indepth repsonse

I've got this one

I've received an error like this occasionally, with no rhyme or reason on our sql2k enterprise cluster.

It occurs randomly, but seems to have a lot to do with ole/db linked server connections.

A reset takes care of it, but that isn't a very good solution.

Once it happens, the server's are pretty ueless for any sql transazction until restart od service.

There are several partitioned views in this set up, so I've been wondering if hte federation setups have issues.

Insufficient Error

It is actually a bug in the sql server 2005.It is not releaseing the memmory which it holds when it is necessary.Please check the link below,

FIX: Error message when you try to run several queries on large data sets at the same time in SQL Server 2005: "701 There is insufficient system memory to run this query"

Thanks
    Venkat

Quote Originally Posted by raguvenkat View Post
    It is actually a bug in the sql server 2005.
    how the hell could the original poster have encountered an sql server 2005 error back in 2004?

FAIL

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks a lot for the very gentle reply i ever had

Actually it it was a typo error. Thanks a lot for a very gentle reply. I am a member of so many forums but never came across this much gentle replies.Thanks a lot guys. First please learn how to comment in a public technical forum.This is my last message in this thread. Thanks a lot guys.Its my fault joining the foru without learning the previous forum and replies.

HATS OFF VERY PROFESSIONAL GUYS.

Thanks
    Venkat.

maybe in other forums it is perfectly okay to reply to a thread that has been dead for almost seven years

sorry to see you leave, though

we coulda had so much fun together

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

hmmm, back in Feb '04 there was a IDW-5 or 6, can't remember for sure, for SQL2K5. And back then the mechanism of handling memtoleave was the same as the one in 2K, like the cluster owner pointed out in post #4. And his hunch about linked server calls is absolutely correct, linked servers (along with a couple of other things, like xp's etc.) do have a tendency of fragmenting memtoleave, which requires contiguous allocation.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."