Unanswered: Remote Administration

I am having problems be able to do remote administration for a new Windows DB2 server running v8.1. The server admin won't let me have remote login or Telnet authority to the box because of perceived security issues etc.

Is anyone going about this any other way?

I need to be able to get to the server to set up a Federated database,create new databases etc.

I also support a lot of 7.2 databases on UNIX so I am new to the Windows side of things. The db2 tools on my desktop are the version 7 do I need to upgrade these?

Any suggestions would help Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Remote Administration

Originally posted by BHartman
    I am having problems be able to do remote administration for a new Windows DB2 server running v8.1. The server admin won't let me have remote login or Telnet authority to the box because of perceived security issues etc.

Is anyone going about this any other way?

I need to be able to get to the server to set up a Federated database,create new databases etc.

I also support a lot of 7.2 databases on UNIX so I am new to the Windows side of things. The db2 tools on my desktop are the version 7 do I need to upgrade these?

Any suggestions would help Thanks.
    I assume the DB2 v8 server is on your local network and not at a remote location. In this case Control Centre would be a solution. Actuall, it would be the solution for a remote network as well if you can establish a VPN.

Another solution would be to use Windows Terminal server to connect to the machine.

I believe you'll have to upgrade the Administration Client software to v8 as well. It will have limited support for v7 databases but for those you also have ssh/telnet, right?