Red face Unanswered: sql server linked server to informix

Hi, I'm trying to set up a linked server in sql server 2000 (in both win2k an NT) with informix. I've tried using the informix cli driver to ODBC and the OLE DB driver provided by IBM, but I always get errors.

When I try to set the linked server with ODBC the error is : 7399 , It says that the provider did not give any information about the error (..??...) I tested the DSN with the dbping tool and it works fine. I also testet it linking tables with access and also works.

When I try to set up the server using OLE DB, the erro message is Error: 7303 Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB provider "ifxoledbc".OLEDB erro trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Ifxoledbc' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80040e21: [PROPID=unknown PROPERTY ID VALUE = " .... and so on.....

In both machines, sql server have sp3, the latest MDAC.

The curious thing is that in another machine running windows NT (it's almost a twin of the trouble machine) the linked server works fine and I even can run querys.

I'm desperate!! could anybody help me please!!!!!!!!!!

PD: Attached is an image that shows the error message
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails errorifx.jpg  

Ah, Informix. The bane of my existence.

I have to connect to Informix databases on SCO-UNIX. I got a driver from Informix a while back called INFORMIX 3.32 32-BIT. Setting it up to work is a royal pain, but much easier than it used to be.

Anyway, I have several servers I need to connect to, so I do it dynamically. Here are the lines from the sproc I use to create the linked server:

EXEC @call_ret_val = sp_addlinkedserver @server='LSServer', @srvproduct='INFORMIX 3.32 32 BIT', @provider='MSDASQL', @datasrc=@server_dsn, @catalog='vitel'

EXEC @call_ret_val = sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @useself=FALSE, @locallogin=NULL, @rmtsrvname='LSServer', @rmtuser=@server_user_id, @rmtpassword=@server_password

@server_dsn is the name of the ODBC DSN. 'LSServer' is what I call the linked server. @server_user_id and @server_password are the username and password for the Informaix server. I store that stuff in a table and iterate through them, but you can probably just run these once. Also, if your Informix driver has a different name (probably newer), change that bit in @srvproduct as well.
    -bpd

Also, if you want, I can send you a copy of the drivers I use.
    -bpd

Just to clarify, - did you run the dbping and MS Access tests on the troubled server?

Obviously, it's machine-related, so the 2 boxes are not "twins." Check the NT SP's that were applied (or not applied) on both boxes. Using ODBC would mean that your provider will be MSDASQL, which can be affected by anything other than SQL SP's, and the server will not be affected as far as reporting the SP level.

Originally posted by bpdWork
    Also, if you want, I can send you a copy of the drivers I use.
    That would be great!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    Just to clarify, - did you run the dbping and MS Access tests on the troubled server?

Obviously, it's machine-related, so the 2 boxes are not "twins." Check the NT SP's that were applied (or not applied) on both boxes. Using ODBC would mean that your provider will be MSDASQL, which can be affected by anything other than SQL SP's, and the server will not be affected as far as reporting the SP level.
    Yes, the dbping was made on the troubled server, and also the MS Access test! It is when i want to see the tables on the linked server, or when I try to run a query (I'm using openquery..) that the whole thing fails!

By the way, when I said "twins" I meant that the 2 servers are updated at the same time, and the administrators should apply the same SP's in both servers But maybe I'm trusting a lot in the administrator, I'll check the SP's in both servers.

Although I personally applied the latest SQL SP's and MDAC, which other SP's can affect the MSDASQL??

Thanks
    Last edited by jeudy; 01-29-04 at 10:12.

I seriously doubt the problem is related to SQL at all, and is most likely a driver config problem.
    -bpd

What platform is the Informix database running on?
    -bpd

Does you version of DBPing include a tab for I-Connect? If so, is it successful? What error do you get?

The most common error for us when setting up a new Informix client (on SCO-UNIX) is that the client is not trusted by the database server, meaning that the client's IP address is not listed in the Host's etc/hosts.equiv file.

Sometimes this is updated automatically by Unix after a while, but not always.

Of course, we are running old SCO-UNIX and old Informix (legacy application), so this may not affect you at all.
    -bpd

What platform is the Informix database running on?
    The administrator said me that the UNIX plataform is SCO OpenServer (TM) Release 5 (SCO Unix 5.)
    And the informix version is Informix-SE Version 7.24.UC10

Does you version of DBPing include a tab for I-Connect? If so, is it successful? What error do you get?

The most common error for us when setting up a new Informix client (on SCO-UNIX) is that the client is not trusted by the database server, meaning that the client's IP address is not listed in the Host's etc/hosts.equiv file.

Sometimes this is updated automatically by Unix after a while, but not always.

Of course, we are running old SCO-UNIX and old Informix (legacy application), so this may not affect you at all.
    Yes, I tested the I-Connect and it's sucessfull.
    I'm quite new in the company, but I think that our Unix and informix is quite old... I haven't checked the etc/hosts.equiv file.... I will check that, but does it means that we will have to edit this file every time a server access the informix? Isn't it dangerous?
    Also, if my IP address is not listed in the file, why can I connect through access?
    Last edited by jeudy; 01-29-04 at 10:42.