Unanswered: Please help a newbie

Hello All,

Let's see if I can explain what I need to do.

I need to be able to check what is inputted into a cell. Let's say I am looking for the Word "Gas". If Gas is entered into cell A1, and a value is entered into B1. Then I would like to add that value to a different cell on a different page and add it to the number that is already there.

This way, I can keep a running total on all the gas items I enter.

I will be looking for other things, like "Parts", "Gloves", "Wages", etc...

And I will be needing to do the same thing for all those things. I don't know if there is a limit to the things I can look for or if this can even be done.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Try looking into a crosstab, its not exactly what your describing but will do the trick.

The biggest difference is that its not 'hot', you will need to manually tell it to update, but will count/sum etc to your harts content.

Regard

Thanks for the reply but I think the SUMIF function will do what I need it to do with a little creativity.

sumif will prob do it to, but is limmited in such that it has to be made. Whereas the crosstab will grow/shrink to show all current values (including type-os and such)

Anyway have a look....

Regards

If you can be a little more specific on the request. Will there be only one type of item that you will add? Will there be several different worksheets in the workbook that will be added together?

The number of SUMIF formulas is basically limited to the memory available on your computer.

By cross-tab, namliam, do you mean Pivot Table? If everything is on one worksheet then Pivot Table would work great. If several worksheets are involved, then there is a limitation with Pivots.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

There is several worksheets, 15 to be exact and I am going to limit the choices and therefore the SUMIF's down to less then 10.

I don't have the slightest idea about crosstabs and when I looked them up on google, nothing applied to Excel 2003.

As for PivotTables, if someone could either send me some links or try to explain them to me, I would appreciate it.

crosstab = pivot sorry bout that....

Not a problem.

In effect, Pivot in Excel operates similarly to Cross-tab in Access.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Red face

which is what i meant to say