Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32

    Unanswered: Problems with connect / as sysdba

    Please help.....

    We've restored from backup of a live production server (M1) the following directories onto a dev/test box (M2) - both are running AIX 4.3.3 and Oracle 8.1.6...

    /oracle
    /data1
    /data2
    /data3
    /data4

    The above were all owned by oracle/dba on M1, but when restored were owned by ANOther/dba on M2. Our UNIX admin tells us this was a conflict of UID in AIX. We've chown'd the whole directories, now all are oracle/dba.

    We've also changed our tnsnames.ora & listener.ora files and the listener is running (recognising the correct DBs), we can tnsping the Instances, but when we try to run

    connect / as sysdba

    we get
    ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

    If however we try
    connect user/pass

    we get
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

    I'm telnet'd onto our M2 AIX box as the oracle user which is part of the dba group, but Oracle does not seem to be allowing us to connect as sys.

    I've also tried connect internal within Server Manager, but am getting the same results.

    Any clues as to what I might be able to do please???

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    370
    "We've chown'd the whole directories, now all are oracle/dba."

    Does that include all the directories under the $ORACLE_HOME?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32
    Originally posted by SkyWriter
    "We've chown'd the whole directories, now all are oracle/dba."

    Does that include all the directories under the $ORACLE_HOME?
    Yes Sky, it does.

    Our $ORACLE_HOME and $ORACLE_BASE are both under /oracle.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    370
    The oracle executable must be setuid
    Your permissions on the oracle executable should be something like:

    -rwsr-sr-x oracle dba

    If that is not the case, run the following as the oracle owner:

    chmod 7455 $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32
    Originally posted by SkyWriter
    The oracle executable must be setuid
    Your permissions on the oracle executable should be something like:

    -rwsr-sr-x oracle dba

    If that is not the case, run the following as the oracle owner:

    chmod 7455 $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle

    The permissions on the oracle file on the M2 server are -

    -rwsr-x--x oracle dba

    The same applies for the M1 server (to be expected as M2 is essentially a copy of M1) which works fine, so can't see how altering this would resolve our issue.

    As this exe is run by oracle, I wouldn't think there'd be any difference between "s" and "x"

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Posts
    7,776
    Provided Answers: 1
    unset TWO_TASK

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32
    Originally posted by anacedent
    unset TWO_TASK
    The TWO_TASK parameter is not set in oracle's .profile file.

    Also, if I "echo $TWO_TASK" nothing returns.

    Regards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    99
    did you have a password file setup on your old server check $ORACLE_HOME/dbs

    or alternative check the init.ora parameter and unhash the remote login password parameter...and see if this makes a difference!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,296
    please post your .profile contents for the oracle user.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32
    Originally posted by The_Duck
    please post your .profile contents for the oracle user.
    Zaki - no password file on either server. Also, this is a restore from tape of the live server's backup. Live's a-ok...


    Duck, here's the .profile contents (with amended DISPLAY param...)

    PATH=/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/ucb:$HOME/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:.

    export PATH

    if [ -s "$MAIL" ] # This is at Shell startup. In normal
    then echo "$MAILMSG" # operation, the Shell checks
    fi # periodically.
    #
    # DISPLAY SET FOR UNIVERSAL INSTALLER ONLY
    #
    DISPLAY=0.0.0.0:0.0
    export DISPLAY
    #
    ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/app/oracle/product/816 ; export ORACLE_HOME
    ORACLE_TERM=vt100 ; export ORACLE_TERM
    ORACLE_BASE=/oracle/app/oracle ; export ORACLE_BASE
    ORACLE_DOC=$ORACLE_BASE/doc ; export ORACLE_DOC
    ORACLE_SID=temp ; export ORACLE_SID
    TMPDIR=/tmp ; export TMPDIR
    LIBPATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/usr/lib:/lib ; export LIBPATH
    TERM=vt100 ; export TERM
    PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin ; export PATH
    PS1="`uname -n` oracle >>>"; export PS1
    SQRDIR=/usr/sqribe/ora/bin;export SQRDIR
    PATH=$PATH:$SQRDIR;export PATH

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32

    Problem resolved

    Thanks for your input, but we've resolved the issue now.

    Our UNIX admin copied across the user and group files from the LIVE box, which seems to have brought everything back into sync (well, except for some ownership issues which chown should resolve).

    Regards

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •