Thread: Protection

Unanswered: Protection

Hi,

There are some cells that i dont want my users to be able to modify. These cells contain formulas. I'm not sure how i would accomplish this. I tried protecting my workbook, but this didnt seem to make a difference...

Do i need to set up permissions and users?? Is there a simpler way? I'm used to working with Access, which gives the possibility of creating MDE files that pre-compile all the VBA code, and disables all the design views. This is pretty much what i'm looking for.

thanks!
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud

There are 10 kinds of people, ones that understand digital, others that dont

Select all cells (selection square in upper left; or press CTRL + A), then right-click > Format Cells > Protection (tab). Uncheck both boxes (Locked and Hidden). Click OK.

Then select cells (Edit > GoTo > Special > Formulas to select all formulas) that you want locked, Format > Format Cells > Protection (tab), click "Locked."

Now protect the sheet. In XL 2002 you have several options about what can or cannot be done by the user. Use a password (it will ask for confirmation).

Now you should be able to see the formulas in the cells but not change them.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

kool, thanks! i was protecting the whole workbook.....didnt quite do what i wanted!

thanks, Cheers!
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud

There are 10 kinds of people, ones that understand digital, others that dont