Unanswered: putting dates in an iif statement

in the expression builder for a query, what is the proper way to put Between statements (for dates) into the true and false parts of an IIF statement?

currently it is not giving me the correct result, but if i put either of those true or false Between statements by itself as the criteria, it'll return the correct result. it's only when i embed them into an IIF statement do they not work. any suggestions? thanks.

Re: putting dates in an iif statement

Originally posted by cjwang80
    in the expression builder for a query, what is the proper way to put Between statements (for dates) into the true and false parts of an IIF statement?

currently it is not giving me the correct result, but if i put either of those true or false Between statements by itself as the criteria, it'll return the correct result. it's only when i embed them into an IIF statement do they not work. any suggestions? thanks.
    Let's see what you are doing ... Post the relevant SQL ok?

Originally posted by M Owen
    Let's see what you are doing ... Post the relevant SQL ok?
    IIF([Forms]![Parent Info]![AllDates] =False, Between #1/1/1900# And Date (),Between [Forms]![Parent Info]![CommLogStartDate] And [Forms]![Parent Info]![CommLogEndDate])

[All Dates] - toggle button (show all dates or let user enter start and end)
    [Parent Info] - Main Form
    [CommLogStartDate] - text box for start date entry
    [CommLogEndDate] - text box for end date entry

Thanks for the help.

try using format to change the format of the dates to US (mm/dd/yyyy) your probably entering European dates (dd/mm/yyyy) which ends up getting you mixed information.
    01-03-2004 (01-march) will get interperted as 03-jan. By using mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mmm/yyy you ensure that SQL enterpets the dates as intended.

Regards

Originally posted by cjwang80
    IIF([Forms]![Parent Info]![AllDates] =False, Between #1/1/1900# And Date (),Between [Forms]![Parent Info]![CommLogStartDate] And [Forms]![Parent Info]![CommLogEndDate])

[All Dates] - toggle button (show all dates or let user enter start and end)
    [Parent Info] - Main Form
    [CommLogStartDate] - text box for start date entry
    [CommLogEndDate] - text box for end date entry

Thanks for the help.
    to cjwang :
    It looks like you are misinterpreting the format of the IIF function:
    the syntax should be IIF(Expr, truepart, falsepart)

You seem to use the IIF function with 3 expr to evaluate since Between is also returning True or False.

Try reading the Help functions on the IIF and Between functions...

Provided Answers: 1

Cool

Here is a nice function to do the convert for you:

Function CSQLDate(varDate As Variant) As String
    'This funktion changes any given date format to a string that used in the SQL-Statment,

If IsDate(varDate) Then
         CSQLDate = "#" & Month(varDate) & "/" & Day(varDate) & "/" & Year(varDate) & "#"
       Else
         CSQLDate = ""
       End If
    End Function

Hammbakka,

How about just using: Format(date(),"dd-mmm-yyyy") or something simular, shorter sweeter faster....

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by namliam
    Hammbakka,

How about just using: Format(date(),"dd-mmm-yyyy") or something simular, shorter sweeter faster....

That is also OK, but I used to use Functions to perform my work, this is a habit. Also this function will be a complete of the ACCE$$ series CDate , CSng, CInt, ...