Unanswered: track item location

I need to create a database that will track an item's location.

I must be able to say where the item is and who has it. I need to keep a running history on the item.

Items will come into the database as groups--incidents we'll call them, but then they can go out and come back in independly of the group.

My plan is to have a form with sub forms.

Header form--with the incident information
    Item subform for each item--with item information
    location subform for the current and historic location of each item

An item will also expire; it will be removed from service. I need to close out the item, but keep it's history.

I must also have to report back on who has what--ie who has items "checked out" and what are those items. I must also report on the items that are "checked in"--those items that have not yet expired AND are also not "checked out".

Am I headed in the right direction?
    Last edited by weigoldk; 02-02-04 at 12:56.

I thing you are in the right direction.
    Saludos
    Norberto

Any direction you take will most likely be the right one since the direction your taking looks, feels, and accomplishes what you want. You do have a task ahead of you.

I'm not sure what "CyberLynx" is trying to say to me--I don't know if I should feel reassured or frightened

"Any direction you take will most likely be the right one since the direction your taking looks, feels, and accomplishes what you want. You do have a task ahead of you."

If anyone out there has any tips for avoiding pitfalls or for making this "task" easier, I'd be grateful for your posts.
    Last edited by weigoldk; 02-02-04 at 12:54.

Hi,
    Seems you're needing a bit of help. First, how are your tables set up? Let's say you have 2 tables to start: (1)Incidents (2) Items. Both tables have a PrimaryKey. You need to create a One-To-Many link. In the Items table, you have ItemID, ItemName, ExpireDate, INCIDENT_ID (as the ForeignKey,comes from the Incidents table). Create a query and add both tables to it. Then in your query grid drag in the IncidentID, ItemID, ItemName,ExpireDate and so on...whatever fields you have for each table. Then when you create your form manually or wizard, basing the main form on the Incidents table and the subform on the Items table. The whole form can pull it's info. from the query you just created. Start with that and see how it goes then return. The form wizard can help you in making forms with subforms.

If you could paste a copy of your tables on here that would help more.
    Bud