Thread: Download Java

Unanswered: Download Java

Hi all,
    I am new to Java. I am trying to download the Java development kit for Java 2. After going to the sun website, I am not exactly sure what to download. Can someone please help me in finding out the correct link to download JDK, so that I may practice creating programs. The only other thing is that I am trying to find the JDK desktop version not the enterprise edition.

Thank you.

Dhanvanthri

Re: Download Java

Originally posted by dhanvanthri
    Hi all,
    I am new to Java. I am trying to download the Java development kit for Java 2. After going to the sun website, I am not exactly sure what to download. Can someone please help me in finding out the correct link to download JDK, so that I may practice creating programs. The only other thing is that I am trying to find the JDK desktop version not the enterprise edition.

Thank you.

Dhanvanthri
    Hello,

there are four types of packages:
    1. JRE - this is just Java runtime enviroment
    2. J2SE - this is Java standard development kit
    3. J2EE - this is Java Enterprise Edition
    4. J2ME - this is Java Micro Edition

JRE is only runtime for existing java applications
    JSDK (You probably wont this) - is for development applications in Java like Servlets, JSP or GUI (except Enteprise Java Beans).
    J2EE is the same as JSDK but with advanced features for example you can develop and use EJB.
    J2ME is related mobile technologies like cellular phones or PDAs ....

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/download.html

Hey, I use J2EE for a web application. I want to expand this application with an application, running on a cellular phone. Do I need to install J2ME in that case of can I work with J2EE? If the answer is: 'Yes, you realy need J2ME.', than there is a 2nd question: 'Is it possible to run J2EE and J2ME on the same computer?'.

Thanks in advance!
    A good programmer is a LAZY programmer!