Unanswered: RMAN backup procedure okay?

Solaris, Oracle 9.2.0.4 [RMAN backup to disk w/controlfile using catalog db]

I've been setting up out production db backup through RMAN.

I've got the scripts and everything written.
    Basically I do a full hot backup every day (including controlfile).
    Then, after the backup I delete obsolete.
    Also, a logical backup through export utility exports the 2 schemas that have data in them.

I see no reason to do incremental backups since I am in archive log mode. If I need to recover I recover from the last backup until time which RMAN then uses the archivelogs to take care of that.

Does anyone see any loopholes in this strategy?
    The docs don't really give any straight answers regarding whether an incremental backup is necessary.

Our DB is not very large so a full backup only takes 5 minutes to run. It seems incremental backups are good if you are dealing with VERY large databases and the backups take a long time.

Am I missing anything?
    If I am backing up to disk, would there be any reason to back up the archivelogs? Maybe in case of corruption possibly? I figure I could set up a job to FTP/copy the backup files and archivelogs off the server after the backup.

ps: I plan to set up backups for the catalog db also (possibly with an export too)
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

sound good to me.....your right no need to do incremental backup's I think this applies for large databases. Taking exports is also an excellent idea especially if some user manages to drop a table...(rman is a pain to do TSPITR).

RMAN has good features to backup archive logs as it automatically deletes input which is handy when log files are filling up, also having a (crosscheck archivelog all) script can be handy! in the event log files are manually deleted.

1) RMAN backup job database backup to /backup dir
    2) RMAN archive job archive log backup to /backup dir
    3) Daily database export job to /backup dir
    3) cronjob to backup the /backup dir to tape ( in the event of disk failure)

if practical it's always nice to have latest backups on disk, very useful in the event of recovery.

Regular backup of the catalog database completes your backup stratergy which sounds good to me (assuming your catalog is on another server).

one thing you could add to your backup is a weekly backup of the following init.ora/tsnames.ora/listener.ora/password files.

Originally posted by zaki_mtk
    if practical it's always nice to have latest backups on disk, very useful in the event of recovery.

Regular backup of the catalog database completes your backup stratergy which sounds good to me (assuming your catalog is on another server).

one thing you could add to your backup is a weekly backup of the following init.ora/tsnames.ora/listener.ora/password files.
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the catalog is on another server so I was going to just export the catalog schema and maybe setup an RMAN backup of that as well.

Backup of the network files is a good idea. Thanks.

RMAN backs up the SPFILE correct?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Yes Rman back's up the SPFILE from 9i release 2.

happy rman'ing!!