Unanswered: Access XP Runtime will not install

I have created a small Access XP Application with both FE and BE that I am now trying to install using Office XP Developers' Edition and Access XP Runtime. I'm using the packaging wizard to create the appropriate set-up files.

I have successfully installed the Application on a Windows XP machine but, when I attempt to install the package on a Windows 98 machine it fails to install the Runtime version of Access XP. It installs the MDBs OK but when I try to open the FE, Windows asks what Application should be used to open it.

I suspect that the Set-up program is checking something to see if Access XP Runtime should be installed and concluding, incorrectly, that it is not needed. I have already used Uninstall to remove Office 2000 for Small Businesses. In addition, I deleted the Office Software Registry items from the Windows Registry. Finally, I used the Find Utility to search for any copy of msAccess.exe - nothing found.

What do I need to try?

F'g Microsoft charged us $290 to 'fix' this.
    The packaging wizard doesn't include all the files needed for other operating systems. If you ask me, their $290 fix should have been a fix that THEY paid for, but they managed to worm their way out of refunding our 'we promise to refund it if it's our fault' deposit. As Bill Gates said on the Simpons, "I didn't become the richest man in the world by writing cheques".

Try the patch at http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...cePack1enu.exe
    And then rebuild your package.

One other thing to check is that when you create the package, that you say 'yes' to every option that MS want to shove down your throat, ie 'include internet explorer', and whatever other accessories that you wouldn't ever associate with Access.

ServicePack1 Made Problem Worse

Per VanDam suggestion, I downloaded and installed Mod10ServicePack1.exe.

Then I rebuilt the Setup Package, uninstalled my test App and Access XP Runtime from my Windows XP Machine, and attempted reinstall. Result was Access XP Runtime did not install. Setup made no attempt to reinstall.

This is in contrast to earlier problem in which I could Install Access XP Runtime and App on a Windows XP machine, test system, uninstall components, revise and rebuild App, and finally reinstall and test newest version. However Access XP runtime would not install on a Windows 98 machine.

Well, at least I get consistant results from both Windows XP and Windows 98 environment. I am sure MS would call this a victory!

Hate to say it, but I think the next thing you need to do is a complete re-install of the Win98 machine.

Sorry that the patch screwed things up further for you. Works for us

Looks like you'll also be paying M$ professional support $290. Just make sure you get it out of them when you prove to them that it's their fault and not 'user error'.

Can't Install Access XP Runtime

Final Posting - problem solved!

First, my apologies to Van Dan, Service Pack 1 to Office XP Developers Edition was needed, and was not the "real" cause of the problem.

The problem turned out to be in the "Defining Start Menu Shortcuts" screen of the Packaging Wizard. I didn't think I needed to define a Shortcut and, also, I thought the Wizard was asking me where to install the distributed application. Therefore, I was deleting the final portion(s) of the Start Menu Shortcut when that screen appeared in the Packaging Wizard.

So, I stopped messing with ANY Wizard suggestions other than telling it I did not need Internet Explorer 5.0 and SQL Server Desktop Edition on the test machines. After that, both test machines, one with Windows XP and the second with Windows 98, copied over both Access XP runtime and the test application.