Unanswered: Unexpected outcome when exporting views..

Something weird happened tonight.. here's the deal. I have two databases exactly the same.. one is for dev, one's for live data.

Anyway, the live DB had an outdated view.. so I exported from the dev DB to the live.. just copying that one view over (using "copy objects" in the export DTS wizard). Very oddly, it actually copied over the data in the tables referenced by the view! Not good, cuz I told my coworkers I'd leave the data in the tables alone How do I copy a view over, but just the view definition, and NOT the actual table data??

Thanks

bump

Originally posted by MDesigner
    bump
    Use the Enterprise Manager to script the view.

Highlight the DB, right click, and select All Tasks --> Generate SQL Script...

When the dialog box opens, click the Show All button, then select the view and move it into the right hand list box and click OK.

It will ask you for a file, which you can later open in Query Analyzer and run to replace the view def with the new one.

Provided Answers: 1
    In the DTS Import/Export Wizard you are given the option of whether to Include All Dependent Objects, and this is set to TRUE by default. Try unchecking this box when you export, and make sure the Copy Data box is not checked either.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Ahhhh! Now it makes sense. Thanks, guys, both of your solutions work great.