Unanswered: A Novice In Desperate Need Of Help

Hi there,

I need some help and advice.

I have a table which lists all equipment but also lists all the financial details regarding this piece of equipment. i.e. purchase price, depreciation value, salvage value etc.

I have entered the calculations into the form which works fine but I also need to update some figures on a monthly basis and possibly in the background of Access.

For instance, minusing 1% of the purchase price for upto 3 years after the equipment was purchased.

How can I do this? Would it be through an update query, if so what would the criteria be etc.

Thanking you

I've just been thinking about it and I don't necessarily need it to run in the background, maybe the user can click a button on a monthly basis.

I just need to find out how I can calculate a figure and change the value depending on the calculation in a query

You might need to further explain what exactly you require as what spesific calculation you want and where (I mean on the form or in the report or as a query result?)

OK sorry,

I have managed to set up the update query which changes the Salvage Value by 1%. The user will need to run the query monthly to update the value.

My other question is, I need to put a criteria into the query which say's

If the PurchaseDate of that record is equal or less than 3 years. For instance, I have a record purchased on 15/03/03 and I want the Salvage Value to minus 1% on a monthly basis but only up to 15/03/06.

How can I put this into the criteria.

I hope that makes a bit more sense.

Thanks

If I understand correctly then in your query criteria use

DateDiff("yyyy",date(),[PurchaseDate])<=3

which means you're trying to get only those records where the date difference on yearly basis is less than or Equal to 3 (from today to 3 years back)

- hope this will help. - check access help on datediff() for further explanation

-Saqib

Yes you did understand correctly - thanks very much.

Any idea where I can get hold of monthly scheduler software?

I have visited this website http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0042.htm but it is only by week.

try this free but better scheduler from

http://www.splinterware.com/

Saqib