Unanswered: Sybase Environment Variable problem

I installed Sybase 11.9 server in my machine and was trying to connect to a remote server containing 12.5 database. I am having Windows XP in my machine.
    The above operation was quite successfull and I was happy working with it.
    But one fine morning I found when I am clicking to Sybase Central nothings happening no services were found corresponding to sybase systems. Then I tried to ping to the server through DSEDIT an Warning message came up saying "Failed to iniatialize LIBTCL.DLL. Please make sure the Sybase Environment variable is set correctly".
    Thereby I am not being able to log into the server although I am sure nothings wrong with the server which I am trying to connect.
    I donot have much working experience with Sybase so if somebody could help me and let me know what are things to be done to resolve it . As this requires a very urgent solution a quick response is highly appreciated.

Thanks everybody..
    Kaushik

With ASE12.5, Sybase Central doesn't display all the server located on sql.ini file: you must add the nnecesary entries manually (usefull when your common sql.ini file includes hunderts of servers but you're only administering a part of the park)

Originally posted by fadace
    With ASE12.5, Sybase Central doesn't display all the server located on sql.ini file: you must add the nnecesary entries manually (usefull when your common sql.ini file includes hunderts of servers but you're only administering a part of the park)
    Thanks for your reply. I solved that problem it was beause a particular file locales.dat under locales directory was corrupted .Replacing that file solved my problem.

Regarding adding on servers I normally do it with DSEDIT option.

Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Kausik

Kausik,
    which file was correupt under locales? Is this on Windows 2000 or NT?

was it LIBTCL.DLL?
    ====================
    Rajesh

LibTcl.dll is under DLL directory , although the message talked about libtcl.dll but I modified the Locales.dat file which is under Locales directory.That solved my problem..

Regards,
    Kaushik

One thing I forgot to mention it was on Windows XP.

Thanks
    Kausik

kausik_m123 (or anyone)

i am having the same problem. i read somewhere that adding "locale = EN_US, us_english, iso_1" to the locales.dat under [nt] was one solution. that did not work for me.

what exactly did you edit?

thanks for the help
    Last edited by afront; 02-04-04 at 13:57.

for those interested.....i found changing the Env Variable LANG to enu did the trick. this is on a win2000 pro machine. sybase must have been installed before and was keeping an old LANG variable.

Solution for Win XP

This worked for me on Windows XP (I didn't have an environment variable LANG, and creating one didn't help) ...

Error text in sybinit.err:

The context allocation routine failed when it tried to load localization files!!
    One or more following problems may caused the failure

Your sybase home directory is c:\sybase. Check the environment variable SYBASE if it is not the one you want!
    Using locale name "1033" defined in environment variable LANG
    Locale name "1033" doesn't exist in your c:\sybase\locales\locales.dat file
    Solution:

Add the following line to the section [NT] in the locales.dat file…

locale = 1033, us_english, cp850

(Just copy the last line in the section, which will be "locale = default..." and change 'default' to '1033' or whatever locale name appears in sybinit.err)