Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    113

    Unanswered: Sybase Environment Variable problem

    I installed Sybase 11.9 server in my machine and was trying to connect to a remote server containing 12.5 database. I am having Windows XP in my machine.
    The above operation was quite successfull and I was happy working with it.
    But one fine morning I found when I am clicking to Sybase Central nothings happening no services were found corresponding to sybase systems. Then I tried to ping to the server through DSEDIT an Warning message came up saying "Failed to iniatialize LIBTCL.DLL. Please make sure the Sybase Environment variable is set correctly".
    Thereby I am not being able to log into the server although I am sure nothings wrong with the server which I am trying to connect.
    I donot have much working experience with Sybase so if somebody could help me and let me know what are things to be done to resolve it . As this requires a very urgent solution a quick response is highly appreciated.

    Thanks everybody..
    Kaushik

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    524
    With ASE12.5, Sybase Central doesn't display all the server located on sql.ini file: you must add the nnecesary entries manually (usefull when your common sql.ini file includes hunderts of servers but you're only administering a part of the park)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    113
    Originally posted by fadace
    With ASE12.5, Sybase Central doesn't display all the server located on sql.ini file: you must add the nnecesary entries manually (usefull when your common sql.ini file includes hunderts of servers but you're only administering a part of the park)
    Thanks for your reply. I solved that problem it was beause a particular file locales.dat under locales directory was corrupted .Replacing that file solved my problem.

    Regarding adding on servers I normally do it with DSEDIT option.

    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Kausik

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    41
    Kausik,
    which file was correupt under locales? Is this on Windows 2000 or NT?

    was it LIBTCL.DLL?
    ====================
    Rajesh

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    113
    LibTcl.dll is under DLL directory , although the message talked about libtcl.dll but I modified the Locales.dat file which is under Locales directory.That solved my problem..

    Regards,
    Kaushik

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    113
    One thing I forgot to mention it was on Windows XP.

    Thanks
    Kausik

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    kausik_m123 (or anyone)

    i am having the same problem. i read somewhere that adding "locale = EN_US, us_english, iso_1" to the locales.dat under [nt] was one solution. that did not work for me.

    what exactly did you edit?

    thanks for the help
    Last edited by afront; 02-04-04 at 13:57.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    for those interested.....i found changing the Env Variable LANG to enu did the trick. this is on a win2000 pro machine. sybase must have been installed before and was keeping an old LANG variable.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1

    Solution for Win XP

    This worked for me on Windows XP (I didn't have an environment variable LANG, and creating one didn't help) ...

    Error text in sybinit.err:

    The context allocation routine failed when it tried to load localization files!!
    One or more following problems may caused the failure

    Your sybase home directory is c:\sybase. Check the environment variable SYBASE if it is not the one you want!
    Using locale name "1033" defined in environment variable LANG
    Locale name "1033" doesn't exist in your c:\sybase\locales\locales.dat file
    Solution:

    Add the following line to the section [NT] in the locales.dat file…

    locale = 1033, us_english, cp850

    (Just copy the last line in the section, which will be "locale = default..." and change 'default' to '1033' or whatever locale name appears in sybinit.err)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •