Thumbs up Unanswered: MySQL Connection to COBOL

Hi MySQLians,

For the last 2 months I have tried to establish connection between COBOL and MySQL. Hope I have succeeded a stage in this regard.

I have used

Remote server: MySQL Server 4.0.17-max in Suse Linux

Client : Windows 2000
    Microsoft VC++ 6.0
    CA-Realia COBOL Compiler Version 6.0.45
    Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 6.00.8168
    MySQL 4.0.17.max-debug for Windows

In COBOL I can call C functions as external subroutines. I have called the MySQL C API functions from COBOL and try to invoke the connection to MySQL. To do this currently I am in need to call mysql_init, mysql_real_connect, mysql_error and mysql_close functions. I have coded in COBOL and executed, each time when I struck up with error I have mailed to this list, but I could not find any favorable response.

Finally now, I have reached the status of connection establishment between COBOL and MySQL with the error message;

"Can't connect to MySQL server on 'neptune' (10049)"

according to the manual from the MySQL site, this error happened due to improper Port No or Socket information. But, I have passed the default Port No.3306 and NULL for the socket as parameter to the function mysql_real_connect.

Can any one suggest me what else creating this error?

I think to establish connection in this way it does not require ODBC settings and DNS in the client machine. It just established the connection via *wsock32* library of the C (here it is VC++).

I have further doubts, Is there a need of any SSH in client side? I don’t have clear idea about this…

I hope if I succeed it will be a success to MySQL team too…

Expecting valuable suggestions…

Thanks in advance…

Sincerely yours,

MySQL Connection to COBOL - SUCCESS....

Hi all!,

yes, I have made the proper connection from COBOL to MySQL...

My COBOL application can able to communicate with MySQL Database. I can able to sent and receive Queries to MySQL and get back result set to COBOL....

It's all happened by using MySQL C APIs.... COBOL external subroutine CALL methodology....

Right now we can add COBOL to the list of fronend support for MySQL.....

Thanks for all supports from this forum...