Unanswered: What's the differnce bewteen...

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right forum, if I'm not I'm sorry and Moderator please move me...

Probably a simple question to those that know...

1) What is the differnce between MySQL and MS SQL?

2) How do I know if a website is using MySQL or MS SQL?

Many thanks, Paul

Re: What's the differnce bewteen...

There are a lot of differences. This link will show the main ones. http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/3087841

Hi Paul,

You would not normally know what database a website is using unless you ask and they tell you. If they are running the DB server on the same machine as the web server, potentially you can try to connect to MySQL/MS SQL with tools, but that would be hacking, so please dont.

-Ziv.

Hi, sorry maybe I should explain more...

I know *very* little about databases, but our website uses an SQL database to store it's products and return pages from categories etc.

We are wanting to change hosts, and many support both MySQL and MS SQL but there is a cost difference. I am trying to find out what type of database we have so I can cost the hosting etc before making the move.

Am I allowed to post the URL here or not? - if so, would any of you clever database people be able to tell me by looking? Somebody told me that because it uses ASP it must be MS SQL, but have read some posts from this forum I am not sure it's as easy as that to tell..! ?

Cheers, Paul

That additional infromation helps...

Note since this is a MySQL Forum, some users may be pro MySQL (like me).

Main things you need to know are:
    1) MySQL is free (open source)
    2) If currently using MS-SQL (or Access or DB2 etc..), you will need to export your information from MS-SQL DB to the new MySQL DB if you want to switch. There are applications that do that for you. Search yahoo for "convert MySQL MS SQL".
    3) Depending on the complexity of the SQL code in your application, you may need to do some code conversion. (SQL code is not always the same from DB to DB). The larger and more complex the application, the more development time is required.
    4) Yes MySQL does run on widnows with ASP.

You want to consider:
    - Capital Time/Money to convert to MySQL (get estimate from developer)
    - Monthly spending on MS-SQL

Lastly, yes each db type does have its pros and cons. But these usually kick in for very high requirements, or special needs. Determine if you have any of these...

Try and get your hands on the db connection string which is found in the code, and post it here (without the password!). That will tell you what db is being used.

-Ziv.

SQL Server does not have to be used if ASP is used. The thing is, with server-side code, unless there are HTML comments about the database, it is hard to discover the back end by looking at a website. That said, there is nothing that could really be accomplished by anyone looking at the site. If you have access to the ASP code, you can probably figure it out by looking for the ADODB.Connection object.

Misinformation. No pro-MySQL. Not to mention that it is nearly eighteen months old. Take everything in that discussion with a grain of salt.