Thread: Text capture

Question Unanswered: Text capture

I was wondering how you go about capturing text as it is entere into a textarea? i want it captured exactly as it is typed, with carriage returns and everything. is there an easy way to do this?

Are you in the right forum? I've never heard of a SQL textarea.
    -bpd

no a textarea from an html form. i was wondering is there was a way to use MS SQL to capture it the way it was typed.

My guess is that you have an error in your page. Can you capture the data and write it back to your page to be sure you are getting it all first?

It is likely (without having seen any of your code) that you need to deal with the quotation marks in you code, perhaps by replacing single quotes with double quotes before furthur processing.
    -bpd

should this post belong in the ASP forum? if so, sorry about the confusion.

Maybe both. Can you post the bit of code you are having trouble with?
    -bpd

its not any specific code. but when a user types a remark into a textarea on my site, and they put carriage returns in their remark, the carriage returns are ignored when the information is saved to the database. do i need to do some text manipulation before it is saved, or is there an easier way to just save what they typed in?

Sorry, I'm confusing two different posts (ignore the whole quote thing).

If you are storing your data in either a VARCHAR or NVARCHAR field, it should maintain any CR in you data. If they are not appearing, it is because they are not making it into the database. It's possible that the textbox is not storing/sending them, or that they are being eliminated somewhere else in your code.
    -bpd

well i am storing it as a VARCHAR, that is what is confusing me. i guess i will continue to look into the problem. thank you.

I would try collecting the data from the page and Response.Write'ing it back to be sure you are actually getting the whole thing.
    -bpd

Look for a function call either in the same command that send the data to the server, or right before it. I actually had to implement something like this on certain fields, like name and address, in order to eliminate the wrapping on the labels.

You can simply encode the string that you get from text area. You can use server.HTMLEncode or encodeURI function. But HTMLEncode may not work with Unicodes.
    Last edited by nanadmin; 01-30-04 at 17:26.

Don't know if this will be any help, but. I have several tables that have type varchar and are feed data via asp. From what I have seen, the data recognizes the carriage return as if you copy and paste the data into ms word, excel, or even notepad it uses the carriage return. response.write does not "see" it, however if you return the value in a text box it will "see" the return. for what it is worth! I edited this and pasted the value of a varchar (255) below is the result. In excel the CR looks like a square. again for what it is worth

this is a test

try to do it right
    Last edited by clinel; 01-30-04 at 21:16.

You can try this:

text = Replace(text, vbNewLine, "<br>")

thank you all for your help. i am going to implement at least one of these.