Unhappy Unanswered: SQL 7 Database Lost?? HELP!!

I really hope someone has an idea or two that they'd like to share. Here's the deal...I have a customer who has SQL 7 running on an NT 4 server. Under normal circumstances, our client software connects to a DB running on that server. They recently had to reboot the server and now all of the clients on the network can no longer connect to our database...they get an error message similar to this:

Error -2147467259: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Additional Info:
    When logging into the server, the service manager shows a "green arrow" in the system tray so I'm assuming SQL is running.

They are running some form of replication to another identical server.

They recently had to replace some network equipment on that segment, but everyone can still ping the server by name and IP. Also, they can access the virtual website on that machine's IIS.

Nobody knows the SA password.

As a test, I tried logging in using one of our software's "internal" login/passwords, but still could not login.

As a test, I tried to create a DSN to connect to SQL using the "guest" account (which should exist) but the wizard wouldn't get past the screen where you provide the authentication info.

Anybody have any advice for me/us?

on the box, open Enterprise Manager, register the server or modify (edit) registration by clicking on "Use Windows authenticatin". If you are a member of domain admin, you should gain access to the SQL server.

Originally posted by rding
    on the box, open Enterprise Manager, register the server or modify (edit) registration by clicking on "Use Windows authenticatin". If you are a member of domain admin, you should gain access to the SQL server.
    You know, we tried to register it in Ent. Mgr., but Windows Authentication didn't work and we don't have a SQL login that seems to work either.

Originally posted by mbaria
    You know, we tried to register it in Ent. Mgr., but Windows Authentication didn't work and we don't have a SQL login that seems to work either.
    Got any errors when trying connection?

Originally posted by rding
    Got any errors when trying connection?
    It's hard to say. I'm working with these guys over the phone and all they said was that it, "...didn't like the login/password..." I'll be talking to them again in about 2 hours and I'm going to try to get a more specific answer then.

Update: I just remembered that what they actually said was, "...Nope....same error..." which, at the time, I figured meant the error mentioned in my first post. I'll still try to see if I can get something more specific.
    Last edited by mbaria; 01-30-04 at 18:48.

Smile

Error -2147467259 has occurred.
    [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exists or access denied.

But it turns out that the services were set to logon using a domain account that had been deleted. Now, other than trying to decide what logon account to set them to use, I think the problem is solved.

Although, if anyone knows why Microsoft instructs users that they MUST also update the logon info in Enterprise Manager...http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...stall_4p0z.asp(bottom of the page, near the "Important" flag)..., please feel free to share.