Red face Unanswered: Comparing lists in Excel

I have two excel spreadsheets that contain a list of number.
    The first is a master list of numbers generated daily by and oracle dbase that exports to excel. The database also ports out to another process that prints file numbers for our filing system. The snd list is comprised of all the numbers that do not make it to the printer(for whatever reason). I need to compare the 2nd list(non-printed numbers) against the master list(all numbers) and flag those on the master list that are a positive match. Those numbers then need to be moved to another sheet/file for manual import back to the printer. Typ. i get about 100/week that make the 2nd list. I have been CTL-F all the numbers by hand from list 2 into list 1 and cutting the matches out into a new spreadsheet for import. Can anyone make heads or tails of some sort of automation for comparing those two lists?
    i can send samples of the lists if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
    Lakota

One possibility is to use consolidation to compare the lists.

In Col A put all the numbers of List 1, in Col B put 1 for every item in List 1 (after the first two, just select both and double click when the cursor turns dark cross-hairs). Then paste the numbers of List 2 below in Col A, then in Col B put a 2 for every item in List 2.

Helps to name the ranges. Then us consolidate, in the finished view. Those with 1 in Col B appear only in List 1, if 2 in Col B, then only in List 2, and if 3 in Col B, then those appear in both lists. Filter and copy those.

HTH
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Talking

Originally posted by shades
    One possibility is to use consolidation to compare the lists.

In Col A put all the numbers of List 1, in Col B put 1 for every item in List 1 (after the first two, just select both and double click when the cursor turns dark cross-hairs). Then paste the numbers of List 2 below in Col A, then in Col B put a 2 for every item in List 2.

Helps to name the ranges. Then us consolidate, in the finished view. Those with 1 in Col B appear only in List 1, if 2 in Col B, then only in List 2, and if 3 in Col B, then those appear in both lists. Filter and copy those.

HTH
    Shandes: Thanks for the post. Helped a lot. I got what I needed without having to search for individual numbers.

Lakota