Thread: constriants

Unanswered: constriants

Question:
    Desinging contraints for the application is developer work or DBA work.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: constriants

I'd say neither - it should be the database designer. Of course, people can have more than one role: a DBA could also be a database designer, and so could a developer. But in their basic interpretations I would say:
    - Database designer: designs tables, views, constraints, triggers, ...
    - DBA: backup/recovery, physical design issues (tablespaces, DB performance etc.)
    - Developer: build application that accesses the database

I absolutely agree with andrewst.

IMHO Oracle deserves, or needs, a specialized version of a developer, which Tom Kyte once named "Database Data Developer" - which basically designs and builds the sql to access the tables, and normally the tables themselves, since the sql and the schema design are so interdependent that is normally quite impossible to design them independently.

Probably half a "Database designer", half a Developer as they are normally understood.

Al

I would say that designing/defining the constraints is the developer job and implementing them is the DBA's job.He shud be better understanding the db load and performance.Usually if the queries run for a longer time then the dba is responsible in a critical environment where the queries run are routine and less accessing.Longer queries means bad design

Originally posted by sarovb
    Question:
    Desinging contraints for the application is developer work or DBA work.
    surely, if the developer is not handed this information by the data modeller, assuming that the proper hierarchy is in place... it is not upto the developer, but upto the business rules and the data modellers... they give you a diagram, with the contraints indicated by either symbols or relationships... i mean, where i work, you can't have developers running around creating constraints as they feel necessary.
    rgs,

Ghostman

Provided Answers: 1

Originally posted by GhostMan
    surely, if the developer is not handed this information by the data modeller, assuming that the proper hierarchy is in place... it is not upto the developer, but upto the business rules and the data modellers... they give you a diagram, with the contraints indicated by either symbols or relationships... i mean, where i work, you can't have developers running around creating constraints as they feel necessary.
    Good point: just because some constraints (PK, FK etc.) can be shown on an ERD and others (e.g. check constraints, complex business rules) cannot, it doesn't follow that only the former are the database designer's job.

Of course, where triggers and/or packages are required to enforce rules, someone with good PL/SQL skills is required. In these cases it may well be appropriate for a developer to build the code according to the designer's spec. But the ownership is still with the database designer. If a developer believes that a required constraint is lacking, he or she should raise that as an issue to the designer, not jump in and create one.