Thread: how to solve it

Unhappy Unanswered: how to solve it

When I tried to install Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1) to my computer (Window XP), it always has an error:

The following running services need to be shutdown before continuing:
    OracleMTSRecoveryService.

However, I never run other services when I install Oracle.

Anybody has this experience? What is the problem?

Thank you.

Re: how to solve it

Start regedit from command.Remove all oracle instances from software .Then load 9i

Originally posted by statguy
    When I tried to install Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1) to my computer (Window XP), it always has an error:

The following running services need to be shutdown before continuing:
    OracleMTSRecoveryService.

However, I never run other services when I install Oracle.

Anybody has this experience? What is the problem?

Thank you.

Sorry, I still confuse. I have already download Oracle 9i in my compute. I just want to use setup.exe to install it. What does ‘Start regedit from command’ mean? And how to ‘remove oracle instances form software’? Thank you.

>>>What does ‘Start regedit from command’ mean?

Start --> Run --> cmd / command;

It looks like you have already a previous installation of Oracle on the server, and it was uninstalled with out all the concerned services being stopped. So now you will have to go into Windows registry and delete all the concerned keys for oracle.

Once that is done, you will have to install oracle again.

by the way oracle 9i rdbms server is not certified on XP, only client installations.

Originally posted by statguy
    Sorry, I still confuse. I have already download Oracle 9i in my compute. I just want to use setup.exe to install it. What does ‘Start regedit from command’ mean? And how to ‘remove oracle instances form software’? Thank you.
    If you are not familiar with editing your registry - i understand that if you dont know what he means by 'start regedit from command', you should not go anywhere near your registry, unless you create a system restore savepoint first.
    rgs,

Ghostman

Like the others said, be careful when editing the registry.

If you get it cleaned out you can install it on XP pro. I've done it several times without any issues. But it does have to be clean, Oracle does not like "re-installing"