Question Unanswered: trying to use recordsource properly..

I am unfamiliar with using recordsource, and have some trouble with error messages I do not understand. It is only about the basics, but still...

I have tried both DAO and ADO, but cannot get it to work. The libraris are referenced/enabled.

Lots of the trials are now commented out , but you can see what I am struggling with...

Last message was about "too few arguments. Expected 2".
    It stops on the line where I am using the select statement, the select statement itself should be one, and dbOpenDynaset should be number two, I have copied the example right out of a manual and just added my select statement, but it does not work...

Here is my code:

Public Function fNewAvg(client_number As Long, RIC As Long, share_price_after_comm As Long, NofShares As Long) As Long
    On Error GoTo Err_fNewAvg

Dim rstHoldings As Recordset
    ' Dim rstH As ADODB.Recordset
    ' Dim DBInfo As DAO.Database
    Dim DBTrading As DAO.Database
    Dim rstH2 As DAO.Recordset

' Set rstH = New ADODB.Recordset

' rstH.LockType = adLockReadOnly
    ' rstH.CursorType = adOpenStatic
    ' rstH.Open Source:="(SELECT tbl_holdings.CID, tbl_holdings.SID, tbl_holdings.prev_avg, tbl_holdings.prev_bal, tbl_holdings.new_avg, tbl_holdings.new_bal FROM tbl_Holdings WHERE (((tbl_holdings.CID)=client_number) AND ((tbl_holdings.SID)=RIC)))"

Set DBTrading = CurrentDb()
    ' Set DBInfo = CurrentDb()
    'Set rstH2 = DBInfo.OpenRecordset("tblClients", dbOpenDynaset)
    Set rstH2 = DBTrading.OpenRecordset("(SELECT tbl_holdings.CID, tbl_holdings.SID, tbl_holdings.prev_avg, tbl_holdings.prev_bal, tbl_holdings.new_avg, tbl_holdings.new_bal FROM tbl_Holdings WHERE (((tbl_holdings.CID)=client_number) AND ((tbl_holdings.SID)=RIC)))", dbOpenDynaset)
    ' Set rstH2 = DBInfo.OpenRecordset("(SELECT tbl_holdings.CID, tbl_holdings.SID, tbl_holdings.prev_avg, tbl_holdings.prev_bal, tbl_holdings.new_avg, tbl_holdings.new_bal FROM tbl_Holdings WHERE (((tbl_holdings.CID)=client_number) AND ((tbl_holdings.SID)=RIC)))", dbOpenSnapshot)

Any tips are highly appreciated.
    Pity there is no fast-chat function on this board to quickly sort out minor issues like such basic things (but still have the chat posted in the thread...)

kedaniel

Building your sql string incorrectly...

change to -
    WHERE (((tbl_holdings.CID)=" & Client_number & ") AND ((tbl_holdings.SID)=" & RIC & ")))", dbOpenDynaset)

number=" & lngValue & " .......
    text=' & strValue & "' ....