Question Unanswered: Trying to give life to Oracle 9i

I'm currently building a database for my class project and I wanted to incorporate sound and video into my database, but Oracle 9i has that function obsolete, so my question is that, "Is there any way to manipulate that, or go around it?" and if so, what would be the necessary steps I would need to take in doing so?

Oracle Rookie

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Oracle 9i has that function obsolete
    HUH?
    Oracle (& any other RDBMS) stores & retrieves DATA.
    What the bits represent & how the bits are processed is up to YOU!
    Your lack of desired output is your "fault" not Oracle's.

Trying to give life to Oracle 9i pt2

Let me see if I can be more detail. . . If its more so what I need to output I guess I would need to know how to code it, but thats pretty much all I'm asking because my DBA, doesn't know much about the development side of DB.
    But to reiterate what I was trying to say previously, You have your master detail form in the layout editor, in the tool bar next to it, you have various options, you can create text, graphs, or a button. Now suppose you want to create a button. . . Now as far as triggers go, we know we need the WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED option. Now how would I code this so that when its pressed, it plays the desired sound and vice versa with a video?
    And perhaps it being enlisted as 2 buttons, 1 to play it and another one to stop it.

What I meant by the funcitons "sound and Active X " were obsolete was that, when I was creating my data blocks through the wizard, I noticed an option it had where you can change the item type to : text, radio group, etc. Thats where I noticed that sound and active x had obsolete beside it. So I didn't know if Oracle 9i supported those options anymore.
    Last edited by Oracle rookie; 02-01-04 at 18:19.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    >You have your master detail form in the layout editor, in the tool bar
    >next to it, you have various options, you can create text, graphs, or a
    >button. Now suppose you want to create a button. . .
    It is Good Manners to clearly state the actual product name & version
    about which you require assistance; plus OS & OS version.
    Your original post indicated you
    "wanted to incorporate sound and video into my database".
    No where did you indicate you are using some sort of GUI application builder.
    May be others reading this forum are mind readers, but I am not one.
    It appears that are intent on creating an OS specific solution, so
    You're On Your Own (YOYO)!

Re: Trying to give life to Oracle 9i pt2

Originally posted by Oracle rookie
    Let me see if I can be more detail. . . If its more so what I need to output I guess I would need to know how to code it, but thats pretty much all I'm asking because my DBA, doesn't know much about the development side of DB.
    But to reiterate what I was trying to say previously, You have your master detail form in the layout editor, in the tool bar next to it, you have various options, you can create text, graphs, or a button. Now suppose you want to create a button. . . Now as far as triggers go, we know we need the WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED option. Now how would I code this so that when its pressed, it plays the desired sound and vice versa with a video?
    And perhaps it being enlisted as 2 buttons, 1 to play it and another one to stop it.

What I meant by the funcitons "sound and Active X " were obsolete was that, when I was creating my data blocks through the wizard, I noticed an option it had where you can change the item type to : text, radio group, etc. Thats where I noticed that sound and active x had obsolete beside it. So I didn't know if Oracle 9i supported those options anymore.
    Are you trying to store sound and video in the database, build a form with a menu and few buttons, or whatever... and with the push of a button, retrieve the sound and video from the database, plug it into media player?
    rgs,

Ghostman

Anacedent advising on good manners? Whatever next ;o)