Unanswered: Help with my Helpdesk

i am after a little help with a database, for college.

i posted something a while back on the forum, it is referencing a helpdesk i now need to build it...

i have some tables that i need to link together, which i need some help with.....

table setup as follows

http://members.lycos.co.uk/redtilefc/relationships.jpg

but i also need to work out how i am going to get this whole thing to work properly.

the main issue is, i need to be able to assign jobs to various technicians, and when the next technician becomes available he is then assigned the job...the trouble is i have no idea how i am going to

any suggestions, would be happy to forward my structure to you if ya want to see it??

i have attached the database below:-

cheers

Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

you dont have any relationships in place, drag the PK to the FK in the relationship window to create them. Then Layout your relationship window so that its more readable than it is now.

You didnt use any spaces in your names which is a good thing. But its also advisable not to use _ and if you do make sure to not use __ as the difference can be hard to see... 'best practice' says dont...

Your main question is ' when is a techn. available?' cause in the system he might be working on a problem, but in reality waitinf for some component to be delivered next week. You dont want him 'picking his nose' all week do you? I dont think you can tell from the system if a techn. is available or not.... but you might/will be able to show the next issue at hand for the available techn.

Regards & GL

main objectives of the systems is as follows:

Allow tracking of jobs received.
    Track unallocated jobs.
    What members of staff have been allocated to each job.
    Track the time taken to complete each job and any costs.
    Summarise total time spent each week by each support technician.
    Provide a history of calls for each piece of equipment.

can this all be done given my table setup ??? or do i need additional tables ??

I think your pretty much setup, except you have nowhere to enter anything like time spend.

As i stated above, A particular job may take a week to complete due to waiting for a compent to come in. To actually find that that component is broken and to build in the compenent may just take an hour each.... but you have nowhere to alot the 2 hours spend. You will end up saying it took a week.

Also you dont have anywhere to allot costs for parts or anything. You may want to add a table for that, depending on the amount of detail you want.

Regards