Unanswered: Importing window's Mysql Database into Linux's MySQL

Hello All,

I'm using MySQL on my Windows Xp and i need to transport
    MySQL databases to my Linux Server (Redhat) .The RH machine is running a web server Tomcat and JSP linked to the database.
    My question is: at Windows, my databases are on folders at c:\mysql\data.
    At Linux, where i put my databases???
    How can i transfer my existing window dtbase to my linux machine?

i will very appreciate for your help and it will be really helpfull for my final year project

Thanks.

It's very simply. Which desktop db-client do you use to work with your Windows DB? I hope it something like phpMyAdmin, MySQLFront, EMS MySQL Manager or MySQL Control Center. If you haven't this you could find it on my page http://www.kirovsk.net/php/3viewyes-...resources.html . Look in your client such function as dump (phpMyAdmin) or export tables (MySQLFront). It will generate SQL-script creating a database structure and data inserting. This script you can run then in your web-db. In any case you could ask me if you will get some difficulties.

Re: Importing window's Mysql Database into Linux's MySQL

Originally posted by layleng
    Your databases are in the location that the global variable "datadir" points to. To find this out, execute the following statement in a mysql client:
    Code:
    SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'datadir';
    I would take Layleng's advise and use mysqldump instead of moving the database files by hand. Check out the reference manual on this subject: http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Upgrading-to-arch.html

Re: Importing window's Mysql Database into Linux's MySQL

Originally posted by layleng
    Hello All,

I'm using MySQL on my Windows Xp and i need to transport
    MySQL databases to my Linux Server (Redhat) .The RH machine is running a web server Tomcat and JSP linked to the database.
    My question is: at Windows, my databases are on folders at c:\mysql\data.
    How can i transfer my existing window dtbase to my linux machine?

i will very appreciate for your help and it will be really helpfull for my final year project

Thanks.
    Hello Ms/Mr khibinite & aus
    thanks for u all help.

Beware of case issues when moving from MySQL tables from Windows to Linux. You may break your application if MySQL on Windows was ignoring case, because Linux does not. There is information in the documentation on this subject.