Unanswered: help with a dateIn and Dateout query

I trying have a go at create a basic booking system.

Im trying to design a query that will tell me which properties are vacant and are currently occupied. However Im a bit stumped as to how go about entering a criteria to give me list of the occupancy and vacany.I only want the record that are current. I dont the query to list all the previous occupants. I need to be able to use this list so that I see what properties are avaible.

does any one have any thought on how I go about achieving this. Im sure it is very simple but Im brain dead today.

Something similar

When I'm designing databases that have to capture information about people that may move off a project, I don't want to delete them (or their related records) when they go. I may need to see who worked on something even if they no longer work here. But I don't want them showing up in list boxes and reports of current personnel.

It sounds kind of like your problem.

To fix this, when someone leaves (or when a room booking is over - i.e. they've used the room and now it's free again) I check a box that makes them "inactive."

Just add a "Current" or "Active" boolean field to your booking records. When a booking is complete and they've used the space, mark the current field as "No" Then you can filter only those records where "[Current] = -1"

Magee

Thats exactly what I was after. I was thinking of some kind of flag but I just wasnt sure where it need to be flagged. Its a good way to handle my situation.

So you saying i should use a tick box that says something like active. I will need to uncheck the active box when a departure date is entered in the booking form.

Thanks for the tip.

Yep!

That's exactly right.

Even better, if you're ready to try that kind of thing (don't know what level Access user you are), you can add an onChange event to check and uncheck that field for you.

So when you change the booking departure date (add a date - the field is not null), you can have it automatically set the Active field to false or 0.

Magee
    Last edited by mageem; 02-04-04 at 01:09.

Yeah I thought of that Too!

Do you mean something like this

Private Sub DateIn_AfterUpdate()
    Me.ChkActive = True

Private Sub Text14_AfterUpdate()
    Me.ChkActive = False
    End Sub

I dont suppose you know why I cant get an event procedure to update a form. Im using the below to update a form when the DateIn field in entered. Im certain that the my subform is called subfrmTenant_Property_Bookings

Forms!frmProperties!subfrmTenant_Property_Bookings .Form.Requery

see the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Almost. You'd need to evaluate the condition before checking the field.

If Not Nz(Me.FieldName) Then
    Me.ChkActive=-1 'true
    End If

'As always, my usual caveat: I'm on a Mac and am working from memory. You'll want to double-check the syntax.

Then to your other stuff. Assuming your default value is either null or false, this is sufficient.

Magee

About the subform thing. I can't remember object reference syntax ever. I have to look it up every time. I suppose now that I'm doing Access all the time that'll change.

I'm way out of bounds of what I know without looking it up. But the error message that you uploaded gives a good clue. It thinks that you're referring to a field, not a form. I'd start with double-checking the object reference syntax for referring to subforms.
    Magee

Originally posted by blinky
    Yeah I thought of that Too!

Do you mean something like this

Me.ChkActive = True

Private Sub Text14_AfterUpdate()
    Me.ChkActive = False
    End Sub
    Last edited by mageem; 02-04-04 at 18:53.

I'll get back to you a bit later..im told that i have to be on a training right now..dam!