Unanswered: cannot write to column in updatable RecordSet

Hi. I receive the SQLException:

[Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Can not update, the specified column is not writable.

when I attempt to call updateString() on a RecordSet column. I have set the Statement object on which I execute the query to obtain the RecordSet to be scrollable and updatable.

My goal is to replace the ID value contained in a particular column of each row with a longer text string that includes the ID value. If I can't alter the column values via the RecordSet, can I write SQL as part of the query to generate the text string?

Thank you.

Raj

Can You write a little example: what You have and what You want....
    And your table's structure... if it is possible. and sqlsrv version.

Hi. We run SQL Server 2000. I call the code that creates the Statement, executes the ResultSet, and outputs the results in separate methods, so here I include a summary of the code.

Statement statement = connection.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_I NSENSITIVE, ResultSet.CONCUR_UPDATABLE);

rs = statement.executeQuery(queryString);

WriteEditSCRLinks(rs);

Here's the definition of WriteEditSCRLinks().

//Replaces each SCR ID with a hyperlink that opens the edit SCR page on the ID.
    //Method needs to input an updatable, scrollable RecordSet.
    void WriteEditSCRLinks(ResultSet rs) throws SQLException
    {
    String FieldName = "SCRID";

while (rs.next())
    {
    String IDValue = rs.getString(FieldName);

String UpdateString = "<A HREF=\"" + SiteConfigHelper.getEditSoftwareChangeRequestURL() + "?" + FieldName + "=" + IDValue + "\">" + IDValue + "</A>";

rs.updateString(FieldName, UpdateString);
    }

//Need to move the cursor to the position before the first row
    //so as not to break GraphingHelper methods.
    rs.beforeFirst();
    }

Since someone told me that the JDBC object model does not intend for me to alter the ResultSet if I shall not alter the database, I have to solve this problem in a different way anyway. However, I would appreciate knowing whether the concept of updating the ResultSet differs from the concept of writing to a column.

Thank you.

Raj