Thread: LIKE problem

Question Unanswered: LIKE problem

Is it possible to use LIKE in HAVING instead of WHERE?

Provided Answers: 4
    Oracle's SQL allows it ... For example,
    Code:
    select p.zone, count(*)
    from customer p
    group by p.zone
    having p.zone like '2%';

ZONE   COUNT(*)
    ---------- -------------
             2            5503

Originally posted by Littlefoot
    Oracle's SQL allows it ... For example,
    Code:
    select p.zone, count(*)
    from customer p
    group by p.zone
    having p.zone like '2%';

ZONE   COUNT(*)
    ---------- -------------
             2            5503
    thanks i actually got it to work using:
    '*Health*'
    instead of
    '%Health%'

Provided Answers: 1
    What is the SQL statement you are using this with? Since HAVING is meant for use on aggregate functions it is unusual to find it being used with a character string.

Originally posted by andrewst
    What is the SQL statement you are using this with? Since HAVING is meant for use on aggregate functions it is unusual to find it being used with a character string.
    SELECT Count(MetricEval.AlternateIn) AS CountOfAlternateIn FROM (MetricEval INNER JOIN (Targets INNER JOIN Employee ON Targets.EmpName = Employee.EmpName) ON MetricEval.EmpName = Employee.EmpName) INNER JOIN Metrics ON (Targets.Measure = Metrics.Measure) AND (MetricEval.Measure = Metrics.Measure) HAVING ((MetricEval.Measure Like '*House*') AND (MetricEval.Month = #" & EndOfMonth & "#) AND (Employee.Supervisor = '" & supName & "') AND ((MetricEval.AlternateIn = 'G') OR (MetricEval.AlternateIn = 'E')));

That could be modified to:

SELECT Count(MetricEval.AlternateIn) AS CountOfAlternateIn FROM (MetricEval INNER JOIN (Targets INNER JOIN Employee ON Targets.EmpName = Employee.EmpName) ON MetricEval.EmpName = Employee.EmpName) INNER JOIN Metrics ON (Targets.Measure = Metrics.Measure) AND (MetricEval.Measure = Metrics.Measure) WHERE ((MetricEval.Measure Like '*House*') AND (MetricEval.Month = #" & EndOfMonth & "#) AND (Employee.Supervisor = '" & supName & "') AND ((MetricEval.AlternateIn = 'G') OR (MetricEval.AlternateIn = 'E')));

This may not matter with your DBMS, but I know that in Oracle the WHERE clause can perform much better than the HAVING, because WHERE is evaluated on the rows before they are grouped and counted, HAVING afterwards.

Originally posted by andrewst
    That could be modified to:

SELECT Count(MetricEval.AlternateIn) AS CountOfAlternateIn FROM (MetricEval INNER JOIN (Targets INNER JOIN Employee ON Targets.EmpName = Employee.EmpName) ON MetricEval.EmpName = Employee.EmpName) INNER JOIN Metrics ON (Targets.Measure = Metrics.Measure) AND (MetricEval.Measure = Metrics.Measure) WHERE ((MetricEval.Measure Like '*House*') AND (MetricEval.Month = #" & EndOfMonth & "#) AND (Employee.Supervisor = '" & supName & "') AND ((MetricEval.AlternateIn = 'G') OR (MetricEval.AlternateIn = 'E')));

This may not matter with your DBMS, but I know that in Oracle the WHERE clause can perform much better than the HAVING, because WHERE is evaluated on the rows before they are grouped and counted, HAVING afterwards.
    thanks
    i am using Access

Originally posted by actionant
    thanks
    i am using Access
    Actually I'm surprised it even works. Since HAVING applies to the data after it has been grouped, all those columns in your HAVING clause don't even exist at that point, since they weren't selected and used in a GROUP BY. Oracle rejects such a query altogether:

SQL> select count(*) from emp
    2 having deptno=10;
    having deptno=10
    ERROR at line 2:

ORA-00979: not a GROUP BY expression

SQL> select count(*) from emp
    2 where deptno=10;

COUNT(*)
    ----------