Question Unanswered: data locks in ASE 12.5.1

I recently upgraded my database from 11.5 to 12.5.1 to use the new data row locking features. I implemented locking on all my tables that need it using alter table but I was wondering if there anything else I should do to ensure proper performance(I saw somewhere, something about row locking in a server level and maximum row size) because there doesn't seem to be any difference from before(my users seem to work even slower than before with the new locking scheme).

Any help will be well appreciated.

PS: The server runs on AIX 4.3.3

The row level locking only will solve the locking problems, not the slowness due to other problems (bad config, network, bad programmation, etc)

Using DOL pages, you periodically must use the reorg rebuild command "defragmenting" your tables.

This ksh will perhaps help you :

Code:
    #!/bin/ksh

ASE=$1
    DBList=$2
    USER=sa
    PWD=xxx
    WRKDIR=.

for DB in $DBList
    do
    isql -U${USER} -P ${PWD} -S ${ASE} -o ${WRKDIR}/${ASE}_${DB}_reorg.sql -D ${DB}<< EOF
    set nocount on
    go
    SELECT "reorg rebuild "+name
    FROM sysobjects
    WHERE sysstat2 & 8192 = 0
    AND type="U"
    go
    EOF

grep reorg  ${WRKDIR}/${ASE}_${DB}_reorg.sql > ${WRKDIR}/$$.sql
    echo go >> ${WRKDIR}/${ASE}_${DB}_reorg_final.sql

isql -U${USER} -P ${PWD} -S ${ASE} -D  ${DB} -i ${ASE}_${DB}_reorg_final.sql -o ${WRKDIR}/${ASE}_${DB}_reorg.err
    done

rm ${WRKDIR}/${ASE}_${DB}_reorg_final.sql ${WRKDIR}/$ASE_$DB_reorg.sql ${WRKDIR}/$ASE_$DB_reorg.err

Thanks, I will try it out. I was more concerned about the fact that the users block each other more often now with data row locking than before without. Is this because I might have locked the wrong tables or is there any more configuration on the server side to make it work properly for all tables.

Exclamation

Hi,

When you decide to migrate your tables from APL to DOL, you have to :

- Check if your dataserver doesn't run out of locks. You can check that in your Sybase errorlog. It could be the reason why your the users are blocked.

- Check the folowing config parameters :

page lock promotion HWM
    page lock promotion LWM
    page lock promotion PCT

row lock promotion HWM
    row lock promotion LWM
    row lock promotion PCT