Thread: Auto Archiving

Unanswered: Auto Archiving

My boss asked me if I knew anything about auto archiving our database. I said no but told her I would try and find out how it works. So thats why i'm here. We are using access 97 but i think everything is getting upgraded to 2000 soon. On average about 4 people use the database at any one time. The database which is located on our server. Any help is welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Mj

Re: Auto Archiving

Assuming that your database is in Access format, not only using Access as a client towards - say SQL Server or the like:

To copy the whole db while running, you can use a tool like SecondCopy (www.centered.com) and set the backup profile to copy even if the mdb is in use. This may result - sometimes - in corrupt backups in some rare cases, but should not be a problem if you set the frequency high enouth, then the previous one would probably be ok. That is filewise.

Internally in the database, you can
    a) use synchronising and have it auto-synch with an archive db. This may cause problems with features such as autonumbering, however, so get familiar with the ins and outs of synchronising before making the desicion.
    Or,
    b) you can through some vba code add records to an external db as they are created and/or edited in the forms. There are several examples here in dbforums on how to do that, I can find some links and code examples for you if this sounds like the preferable solution.

If I have forgotten some obvious choices maybe some of you other guys and gurus can comment on this.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. Anyone got like a tutorial on it?