Unanswered: Maximum Number of Fields in a Table?

I am a newbie to Design-so please no flaming.

I am currently designing a db on Access 2002 for work-I currently have around 50 fields in one particular table-is this ok?-or should i try and seperate?

I am also trying to place a subform on a particular tab page(there are six on this particular form) but i dont want it to be visible on any other page other than 6?-At the moment it is visible on all the tab pages-which isnt what i want.

I have various other questions if anyone is willing to get involved in an email consultation?

Many Thanks.

Re: Maximum Number of Fields in a Table?

Oliver,

255 is the max number of fields.

In regards to the subform... if you select the tab page prior to dropping the sub form, that should solve your problem.

Best,

CP

Re: Maximum Number of Fields in a Table?

Originally posted by cpgospi
    Oliver,

255 is the max number of fields.

In regards to the subform... if you select the tab page prior to dropping the sub form, that should solve your problem.

Best,

CP
    Many Thanks

255 may be the maximum but most applications we do wouldn't call for that many fields.

Fifty may also be fine. But my knee-jerk reaction is that when your fields get that high, a good look at your table design is warranted to be certain that your data is normalized.

Don't separate just for the sake of separating a table into several smaller tables. It's a rookie mistake. Look at your table and ask your self what kinds of information are you collection. Is it customer info or sales info (employee data or project data), etc. If both are in the table, you may need to redesign it.

This is what helped me when I was getting started years ago. I'd ask myself this simple question. "As I enter information into this table, am I going to be repeating the same information over and over and over again in many records?" If so, I may need a separate table. This is especially true if I'm going to be repeating several fields over and over (customer name and phone number in a table that records sales data, for example).

Just to confirm my suspicions, I'd ask myself what happened if some of that info changed (a client got married and changed her name, a cell phone number changed, a new address, etc.) I should only have to change that kind of data in one place. If I have to do it over and over again in a bunch of different records, my table's not normalized.

Hope that helps.

Magee

Hiya yes it certainly does-i appreciate you taking your time out to reply.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Oliver_No1
    Hiya yes it certainly does-i appreciate you taking your time out to reply.

Thanks again.
    I am a psychologist. Several questionnaires have more than 255 items. I always wondered why the number of fields limit is exactly the number of bits in a byte. Please Miscrosoft, make it the length of a word. SPSS (statistical package) can handle this and it is always troublesome to have a database split up in several tables just because one thinks this is good structure!

VBA-SQL? - How Important

I have also purchased a book in each of these subjects - but how much would they be needed in a "beginners design" - or would it be wise to learn the full power of access prior to learning anything of these two?.

I have another question too(well 100 to be honest) I have set up a queury based on Peoples contact details - but i wish to be able to enter an "a" for example(in the parameter box) and get all my contacts that begin with "a" to show up - and so forth through to z. AT the moment i have to enter "Amanda" to get her contact details.

Many apologies if my terminology is wrong-i appreciate that makes it more difficult to answer questions.

Re: VBA-SQL? - How Important

Originally posted by Oliver_No1
    I have also purchased a book in each of these subjects - but how much would they be needed in a "beginners design" - or would it be wise to learn the full power of access prior to learning anything of these two?.

I have another question too(well 100 to be honest) I have set up a queury based on Peoples contact details - but i wish to be able to enter an "a" for example(in the parameter box) and get all my contacts that begin with "a" to show up - and so forth through to z. AT the moment i have to enter "Amanda" to get her contact details.

Many apologies if my terminology is wrong-i appreciate that makes it more difficult to answer questions.
    Sorry I just wandered around, I am a Paradox adept. In Paradox it is just '"a..", the two dots represent a joker. It must be something equivalent in Access.