Unanswered: Size of backup file

Hi all,

How can I see what is exact size of SQL server backup file while backup is running. The process is running for more than 2 hours, it is chewing up disk space (it already took about 20G), but the size of backup file is still showing as 0.

Thanks in advance
    Marin Kostadinovic
    ----------------------------
    DBA
    DIMM Info Systems Inc.

press f5 to refresh windows explorer.

Are you kidding me?

After 2 hours it is pressed at least million times, I ran dir /ah and dir /as in DOS with same result (DOS does not need F5, right), file size is 0!

Any other idea?
    Marin Kostadinovic
    DBA
    DIMM Info Systems Inc.

well, if you bothered to state what steps you've already made, i wouldn't be kidding like that

when i am making backups and look at the explorer, within the first couple of seconds i see how backup api preallocates a guesstimated amount of disk space. if a database is very large (20-30gb) it eventually starts increasing preallocated space before it finishes.

so in your situation i am not sure what's going on. you should be able to see at least that much.

Without too much hassle and guess, the final size of your backup should be roughly equal to the total size of data used plus log used (the grey pertions of data and log shown in Enterprise Manager).

Thank you guys,

The backup finished last night after about 3 hours and the size of the file was 33G. I know what is approximate final size of backup file (I allocated 40G before it started), what I need to know is a real progress. The size of file was 0 all the time, regardless of which tool I used (Windows "exploder", Enterprise "damager", simple, good old DOS...) it just chewing disk space without any visible file that is growing. I checked all sub dir's, all system and hidden dir's and files; none of them were changed until process is done. It seams that SQL server does not pre allocate the full space (it does not know what will be final size), so the size of backup file is actually changing all the time, but this size was not available to OS on any level (known to me).

Cheers, Marin
    Marin Kostadinovic
    DBA
    DIMM Info Systems Inc.

3 hours to back up 33 gb?

Are you backing up across the network?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

And DIMM Info systems....LOL
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.