Unanswered: how to temporarily disable on delete cascade from firing but not the constraint

Hi all

i would like to know if this is possible

how to temporarily disable on delete cascade but not the constraint

i want to delete a row from the primary key table but i dont want the data from the foreign key to be deleted even though there is an on delete cascade set.

how do i temporarily disable on delete cascade from firing without disabling the constraint

Rgrds

Provided Answers: 1

Re: how to temporarily disable on delete cascade from firing but not the constraint

That doesn't make any sense does it? You want to make a constraint not "fire" (i.e. disable it), but without disabling it...??? Please explain what you are trying to do, i.e. why you need to do this.

on delete

Sorry

If i have failed to frame the question correctly in the previous post.

What i wanted is to prevent the foreign key table data from being deleted when the primary key table data is deleted when on delete cascade is set between the 2 tables.

but i dont want to drop the constraint

i jus wanted to know if its possible 2 acheiv that

i got 1 option on delete set null

now i currently have on delete cascade set . how du i change it to on delete set null
    without removing the constraint & creating it again

Rgrds

Provided Answers: 1

Re: on delete

OK, I see what you mean. No, I don't believe you can ALTER the ON DELETE clause for a constraint like that. Of course, you could simply update the child table foreign keys to NULL before you delete the parent.