Unanswered: how to implement active/active standby using db2 v8.1.2 over aix

Hi,
    I have the following environment setup
    No of servers : 2
    operating system : AIX 5L (each server has 36GB * 3 harddisks)
    clustering software : HACMP latest version
    database : DB2 v8.1.2
    external storage : fast t700

I want to setup the ACTIVE/ACTIVE STANDBY configuration.
    can anyone tell me the complete steps od doing this configuration.

on server1
    -----------
    filesystem exists as /db2serv1 --
    /home ---

on server2
    ---------------
    filesystem exists as /db2serv2 --
    /home ---

On external storage
    ------------------------
    i have partitions such as /data1, /data2 & /data3

Now can one tell me what is the procedure for setting up ACTIVE/ACTIVE STANDBY setup.
    Whether i have to install DB2 on both the servers and if so,after that where should i create the instance and database .
    Whether i have to create the database and instance in both the servers or what..this things are really confusing to me..

can anyone tell me clearly with some examples based on the partitions i have given.

I will be very greatful if i can get some answers on this.

Thanks & Regards

Sri

You will need to install DB2 on both servers. Also have the disks where you have the containers and the database installed, NFS mounted.

We create a mountpoint /db2/database/ and for the failover, we mount those disk on the new server and then just have hacmp bring everything up. Its all automatic. We also have jobs the sync up both systems.(root vg's) for password, ids, files that are ftp'ed, etc.

This way when 1 server fails, the disks are automatically mounted on the 2nd server, and everything looks the same.
    The database disk that are mounted are mirrored so if there are any problems, we won't loose data.
    David Quigley

Correction to this statement "You will need to install DB2 on both servers. Also have the disks where you have the containers and the database installed, NFS mounted.
    "

Don't make them NFS mounted, make them there own volume groups that you can mount and dismount on either server.
    David Quigley

Hi,

I still have bit confusion.
    So, i have to install db2 on both the servers with the same set of users for ex. dasusr1, db2inst1, db2fenc1.

Now from my server1, i have to issue the create database command pointing to the external storage say for ex: /data1/db2data

So,on the server2 i should not issue the create database command ,am i right ?

But when the first server fails, and the common disk is mapped to the second server,how my second server will identify the database as i have not issued the create database command from that server.

Can you please elaborate and give me with example set.

Thanks
    sri

Originally posted by quigleyd
    You will need to install DB2 on both servers. Also have the disks where you have the containers and the database installed, NFS mounted.

We create a mountpoint /db2/database/ and for the failover, we mount those disk on the new server and then just have hacmp bring everything up. Its all automatic. We also have jobs the sync up both systems.(root vg's) for password, ids, files that are ftp'ed, etc.

This way when 1 server fails, the disks are automatically mounted on the 2nd server, and everything looks the same.
    The database disk that are mounted are mirrored so if there are any problems, we won't loose data.