Thread: sql*plus on 9i

Unanswered: sql*plus on 9i

Hi there,

Earlier in the week i posted a problem i had with oracle8i on WinXP where sql*plus wouldn't startup, although i could use it through command.

To avoid reinstalling, i posted the topic, to no avail. Suffice to say, i reinstalled.

Only this time, i installed 9i (9.0.0.1 on winXP pro SP1a). The same problem occurred. I can use sql*plus through the command prompt, but sql*plus wont start from the start menu of from the executable sqlplusw.exe.

Has anyone experienced this before, it is clearly an OS problem. Any suggestions.

PS. unless you have a worthy solution, please don't reply with something you think might work when you thought you saw it years ago from someone who heard something....

the guru's look at the number of replies, if there is a reply, they might think that my problem has been solved.

Thank you all,
    rgs,

Ghostman

well I'm not sure If I already mentioned to you Oracle 9i server is not certified on XP.

Originally posted by zaki_mtk
    well I'm not sure If I already mentioned to you Oracle 9i server is not certified on XP.
    dude, please read the post. oracle9i is certified for xp - hence why it sais so on the disk. also the fact that 8i and 9i had the same problem (only with sql*plus, not sql worksheet or command line) suggests that a dll required is not availible.
    rgs,

Ghostman

what type of error message do you reiceve? also when you reinstalled did you remove the oracle key from the registry and reboot...before fresh installation?

Ghostman, any particular requirement to use 9.0.0.1 client? I've been using 9.2.0.4 on Win XP Pro, SP1 for the last couple of months with out a single problem. Is upgrading your client an option?

Tried executing from start menu just now because of the problems you're experiencing and it works on mine. One thing that occurs to me is to check the start location of the executable in the start menu.

Happy to check my settings (registry, env, etc) against yours if you think it will help you diagnose the prob.

JoeB