Thread: Schema question

Unanswered: Schema question

We have two sites for failover/failback purposes and have multiple databases on both running under site specific instances, ie instanceA and instanceB. Both run the same databases and take requests from our users (normally only one site is live at any given time) but for maintenance and BCP purposes we need to failover to the other site with the data intact so normal processing can continue.

We looked into DB2 V8 replication but it doens't support BLOBS which we need support for. We have also looked into a redirected restore but the scripting for that isn't all that bad but there are some limitations with it as well because of the time constraints we are under.

My question really is, is it possible to create the tables with a generic schema (instance of the instance owner owning the tables) so that the failover process could be sped up by then loading the same tables with the generic schema into the other database on the other site?

We are running AIX v5.1 and DB2 V8 FP2

thanks for any suggestions

If someone is doing something else with BLOBS, I would really appreciate there input as well

Mark

I'm not sure if this is available with BLOBS but is log shipping an option? Like you do a redirected restore and keep applying logs to the BCP db and every day. Then when you need to fail over, do a rollforward to the end of logs and stop.

So if we did do log shipping after a redirected restore, who would own the schema on the new database?

thanks

Mark