Question Unanswered: Metalink question

I've tried gleaning this info from the Oracle site, but it's as per usual Oracle: vague on important info and voluminous on irrelevance.

I understand you need a support contract, but do you first need to prove you have a license? I don't want to open a can of worms here, because we bought a 4 CPU license from another company, but we can't find any paperwork. I desperately need to get a patch to solve a recurerent problem, but we don't have the cash to renew the licenses yet. Is there any way to get one-off support?

Thanks

Re: Metalink question

Originally posted by mwege
    I've tried gleaning this info from the Oracle site, but it's as per usual Oracle: vague on important info and voluminous on irrelevance.

I understand you need a support contract, but do you first need to prove you have a license? I don't want to open a can of worms here, because we bought a 4 CPU license from another company, but we can't find any paperwork. I desperately need to get a patch to solve a recurerent problem, but we don't have the cash to renew the licenses yet. Is there any way to get one-off support?

Thanks
    I believe you need an SID number of the Oracle Account to sign up for a Metalink account. They use that number to track which software you buy, and which software they will support.

I would give support a call and see if they can find the previous company's information; then let them know you purchased the license. Then you would need to purchase a service agreement and get a CSI number. As far as metalink is concerned, you need that CSI number to set up an account -- no real way around that problem.

Another alternative is to contact another DBA with the same platform and an active CSI and see if you can get them to d/l the patch you're looking for.

Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear... sorry.

JoeB

Thanks for the replies. Sounds about right -- we're just afraid of asking too many questions w/o having something to back it up. Being a little startup that's not making much $$, it seems hard to imagine Oracle taking a hardline, but you never know...

How much does a service agreement usually cost? Is it as variable as the licensing costs?