Exclamation Unanswered: DB migration from NT to Solaris

Hi I have a ASE12.0 database on NT, which needs to be migrated to ASE12.0 on Solaris. I dont have to install ASE on Solaris. It is already present and there are other databases existing on Solrais ASE now.
    I do have some questions here:
    1. I know I have to BCP out data from NT ASE and BCP in Solaris ASE. I have some tables, in which millions of rows exist. Can I BCP out into multiple files, from the same table?

2. Sort orders on these two servers are obviously different.
    NT ASE:
    Character Set = 2, cp850
    Code Page 850 (Multilingual) character set.
    Sort Order = 50, bin_cp850
    Binary Sort Order for Code Page 850 (cp850).
    Characters, in Order

Solaris ASE:
    Character Set = 1, iso_1
    ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) - Western European 8-bit character set.
    Sort Order = 54, noaccents_iso_1
    Case-insensitive dictionary sort order for use with several Western-European languages including English, French, and German. Uses the ISO 8859-1 character set. Diacritical marks are ignored.
    Characters, in Order

Will that cause any problem? If so, what needs to be done, to address this?

3. Another issue I have here is my NT ASE database is case-sensitive. But my Solaris ASe is not.
    So, what steps do I need to take while migrating a database from my case-sensitive NT db to case-insensitive Solaris server?

Thanks
    Bhargava

Re: DB migration from NT to Solaris

Let me answer your first question:

You can do a bcp out in multiple files using the -F and -L option. There should not be any problem. However, if you have sufficient disk space, then there is no need to split the BCPout in multiple files; stick with single BCP files as this would be easier to manage.

For your question 2 and 3, I suggest read Sybase admin guide. I do not have experience in ASE with different sort orders.

Originally posted by gbhargava
    Hi I have a ASE12.0 database on NT, which needs to be migrated to ASE12.0 on Solaris. I dont have to install ASE on Solaris. It is already present and there are other databases existing on Solrais ASE now.
    I do have some questions here:
    1. I know I have to BCP out data from NT ASE and BCP in Solaris ASE. I have some tables, in which millions of rows exist. Can I BCP out into multiple files, from the same table?

2. Sort orders on these two servers are obviously different.
    NT ASE:
    Character Set = 2, cp850
    Code Page 850 (Multilingual) character set.
    Sort Order = 50, bin_cp850
    Binary Sort Order for Code Page 850 (cp850).
    Characters, in Order

Solaris ASE:
    Character Set = 1, iso_1
    ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) - Western European 8-bit character set.
    Sort Order = 54, noaccents_iso_1
    Case-insensitive dictionary sort order for use with several Western-European languages including English, French, and German. Uses the ISO 8859-1 character set. Diacritical marks are ignored.
    Characters, in Order

Will that cause any problem? If so, what needs to be done, to address this?

3. Another issue I have here is my NT ASE database is case-sensitive. But my Solaris ASe is not.
    So, what steps do I need to take while migrating a database from my case-sensitive NT db to case-insensitive Solaris server?

Thanks
    Bhargava

Re: DB migration from NT to Solaris

Originally posted by jv59
    Let me answer your first question:

You can do a bcp out in multiple files using the -F and -L option. There should not be any problem. However, if you have sufficient disk space, then there is no need to split the BCPout in multiple files; stick with single BCP files as this would be easier to manage.

For your question 2 and 3, I suggest read Sybase admin guide. I do not have experience in ASE with different sort orders.
    Try to point 2

BCP have some opiotn for this

-i when bcping the data across platform , such as in ur case NT data has to BCP in in Solaris so make use of -i

-J with this option u can explicitly state the character set to be used.

--For further information please refer to sybase manual. or sybooks available on sybase site.

Thumbs up

Thank you JV59 and Pooja for your suggestions.