Question Unanswered: database vs tablespace restore

All,

Platform information:
    db: Udb 8.1.4

First off thanks for the assistance on my restore I was able to successfully restore based on the feedback that was given to me.

Now I have another question.

I understand that from an online database backup you can do the following

restore to the same database
    restore to an existing database
    restore to a new database redirect option.

I guess I am unclear when it comes to the tablespace backup.

Here are my questions.

1. Can you take a tablespace backup and restore it to a existing database with a different name or a new database that does not exist? (From reading the documentation, this does not seem feasible.)
    2. Can you take a database backup and restore only one tablespace from it into an existing database with a different name or a new database?

Here is an example of what I would like to accomplish.

If I have a online backup that occurs everyday at 9.00pm. If today is Friday, I would like to restore Wednesday tablespace DATA to a new database, that way users can compare the data that is in both databases.

How would I be able to complete this task besides doing a full redirected database restore?

I haven't had much luck trying to restore individual tablespaces to other or partial databases. TS restore appears to me to have been designed just for restoring into current db during corruption , fallback etc., more for recovery than what you are trying to do.

You might have better luck with EXPORT and IMPORT/LOAD

Re: database vs tablespace restore

Not possibel .. If you take a tablespace from one database you can only restore into the same ...

Even if you have used a backup of, say database A and restored it as database B, a tablespace of A cannot be restored into database B

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.