Database Administrators

Hi, I'm a student at DeVry University, Long Beach, CA studying Computer Information Systems. I'm working on a research paper on the career field of Database Administration. I was hoping to give a short and basic questionnaire to any Database Administrators willing to assist me in my paper. The questionnaire can be completed in less than 10 minutes (possibly 5 mins) and i would really appreciate your help. Would you please help me out and suggest a means of giving you the questionnaire (email or private message, etc)?

Thanks!

Re: Database Administrators

See FAQ's in this forum, you can ask your questions via a poll

Originally posted by phil310
    Hi, I'm a student at DeVry University, Long Beach, CA studying Computer Information Systems. I'm working on a research paper on the career field of Database Administration. I was hoping to give a short and basic questionnaire to any Database Administrators willing to assist me in my paper. The questionnaire can be completed in less than 10 minutes (possibly 5 mins) and i would really appreciate your help. Would you please help me out and suggest a means of giving you the questionnaire (email or private message, etc)?

Thanks!
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Originally posted by RickKnight
    See FAQ's in this forum, you can ask your questions via a poll
    Thanks...it's just that they're not random questions appropriate for a poll. It's more like a short questionnaire....specific to your own experience....would you be willing to help me out?

Yes

Originally posted by phil310
    Thanks...it's just that they're not random questions appropriate for a poll. It's more like a short questionnaire....specific to your own experience....would you be willing to help me out?
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Database Administrators

I'm pressed for time because i need to write the research paper. I was hoping that i could post the questions here, then if anyone was willing to help me, you could copy and paste the questions/responses in an email - you can send it to justintyme777@hotmail.com. Thanks!

DBA Questionnaire

Logistical:

1. Name:
    2. What company are you currently working for?
    3. What is your job/position title?
    4. How long have you been the Database Administrator (or equivalent) for this company?
    5. How long have you been a Database Administrator (or worked with databases)?

Educational Background and Experience:

1. Describe your educational background:
    2. What kind of technical experience did you have before receiving your current position with this company?
    3. What kind of technical experience did you have before receiving your first Database Administrator (or equivalent) job?

On the Job:

1. Were you hired from within the company or did you apply for the position?
    2. Did you apply for (or hear about) the position through someone you knew within the company or was it through some type of classified?
    3. What specific Database Management Systems (DBMS’s) do you use on the job?
    4. What percentage of your time on the job involves logical design?
    5. What percentage of your time on the job involves physical design?
    6. What percentage of your time on the job involves maintenance?

In the Industry:

1. What is a typical salary range for Database Administrator’s with less than 3-5 years of experience in the industry today?
    2. What is a typical salary range for Database Administrator’s with more than 5 years of experience in the industry today?
    3. What kind of mobility for advancement and promotion within a company is there for a Database Administrator?
    4. What trends in technology are you noticing in the field of database administration?
    5. What would you recommend for students planning to enter the field of database administration?

Thank you for taking the time to fill out this questionnaire. As a person who has practical experience in the technical industry for database administration, your feedback and responses will be helpful in my research on the role and potential of the Database Administrator. This research is being conducted as part of a class that I am taking at DeVry University, Long Beach, California in an introductory course on Database Management. My field of study is Computer Information Systems and my expected graduation date is February 2005. I appreciate your time and contribution to this project and I will be sure to note your participation in my documentation.